Getting Rogers/Fido iphone 4s unlocked in USA ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ansabakhan, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

a friend of mine gave me a iphone which he got from Canada ... this phone is locked to Rogers/Fido ... i know they unlock iphones out of contract for current customer , but i am not Rogers/Fido customer nor i am in Canada .. is there a work around this ? i know you can get AT&T iphone unlocked for like $100 from some sites or ebay ... but i didn't find any info on Rogers/Fido iPhones , if i cant unlock it i wont be able to use it here in USA .

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Firstly it's not locked to "Rogers/Fido" it's Rogers or Fido. Even though they're on the same network the phones are still locked to the specific carriers.

If the phone is from Fido, Fido will unlock it if the contract it was bought with has been completed and you'll be charged $50.

I think you may be able to unlock it sooner if it's a Rogers phone but I don't know for sure...

3. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

No they won't unlock it because you aren't a customer...I'm sure your friend didn't buy it out right....so that means its still got a lengthy contract...even if the friend bought it from someone else...most people sell iPhone that are bought a Hardware Upgrade to make some easy cash.

two options:

1) Use Gevey....but it has issues as Rogers tries to verify visual voicemail via texts....I don't recommend it because it costs you each time...I experienced it and ended up just selling my Rogers iPhone 4S as it doesn't play nice...even after extensive research and plenty of trial n errors with editing APN and carrier.plist files from the iPhone's internal file system.

2) break the iPhone slightly....pay $149 or w.e and get a replacement(make sure it has warranty)...since you are in USA they will hand you either a AT&T or a Factory unlocked replacement...essentially giving you a 100% working iPhone 4S for as little as $200...since your friend "gave it to you"...

Goodluck, please note 'follow either of the above mentioned options at your own discretion, I will not be held responsible for something that doesn't workout for you' no will I provide support on 'How to' do/go ahead with any of the two listed suggestions.

4. lapeno macrumors 6502

Can you tell me which sites provide the AT&T iphone unlock.

5. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

Thanks ! I actually paid my friend $300 for this phone and now I m stuck with it .. Would apple in usa exchange it if it's broken ? For $199 . . .? I thought replacements get written same info as the original ? System dose it, so fido phone replaced any where in the wrote will be locked to fido. Can some one share any experience ?