Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archiewillis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Hi everyone,

I really like Safari but one BIG thing for me is that it doesn't ask me where I want to save a file every time. I like to keep the mac organised due to the work I do on it, so saving to downloads every time just isn't practical.

Is there anything I can do at all? If not i'll have to switch to chrome.

I know theres the option to right click btw

Thanks for your help in advance!

Archie :)

jack1011

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2014
As far as I know, it is not possible. However, you can use Automator to create a Folder Action so that whenever a file is added to your Downloads folder, a little window pops up prompting you to select where the file should go. It's essentially the same thing as Chrome's "Ask for location" feature, except instead of prompting you before the download starts, it prompts you after it finishes. Here's how to do it:

1. Open Automator and select Folder Action
2. At the top, where it says "Folder Action receives files and folders added to," select the Downloads Folder
3. On the left select "Files & Folders" and from there select "Move Finder items"
4. Specify the folder you'd like to use as the default
5. Click "Options" and from there check the boxes for "Show this action when the workflow runs" and "Show only the selected items
6. Once you do that, a checkbox will appear next to where you chose which folder to use, check that box too.
7. Save

Depending on how Mac savvy you are, this may sound daunting, but it's really quick and easy.

UPDATE: there is a slight problem with this method that I just discovered. for larger files, it will prompt you before the download finishes. you have to select "Cancel" and it will prompt you again once the download is complete. (not ideal, I know)

Last edited:

archiewillis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2015
----------

[/COLOR]
As far as I know, it is not possible. However, you can use Automator to create a Folder Action so that whenever a file is added to your Downloads folder, a little window pops up prompting you to select where the file should go. It's essentially the same thing as Chrome's "Ask for location" feature, except instead of prompting you before the download starts, it prompts you after it finishes. Here's how to do it:

1. Open Automator and select Folder Action
2. At the top, where it says "Folder Action receives files and folders added to," select the Downloads Folder
3. On the left select "Files & Folders" and from there select "Move Finder items"
4. Specify the folder you'd like to use as the default
5. Click "Options" and from there check the boxes for "Show this action when the workflow runs" and "Show only the selected items
6. Once you do that, a checkbox will appear next to where you chose which folder to use, check that box too.
7. Save

Depending on how Mac savvy you are, this may sound daunting, but it's really quick and easy.

UPDATE: there is a slight problem with this method that I just discovered. for larger files, it will prompt you before the download finishes. you have to select "Cancel" and it will prompt you again once the download is complete. (not ideal, I know)

Okay brilliant I'll give that a go now.. thanks for your reply!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.