Getting Scammed ( iPhone Related ) HELP

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andrew K., Feb 22, 2009.

1. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Hey guys so I made a deal with this guy on Craigslist for a 4gb iPhone, I live in TX him in California, We made a deal and went back and forth on price and ended up with 140. He also had pics of it. I sent him a money order ( no Paypal ) account, and he sent me the phone. Well nothing came and he said that they sent it back to his apartment. So I said send it again and get it insured with a tracking number, a few more days go by and nothing , but he was very cooperative this whole time. Look I know it was dumb on my part to do this, but what can I do ? I have all the emails we sent , his email, address, my money order receipt, and his physical address and his name. Is that enough to contact authorities over were he lives? I have sent him more stern emails saying I need it by friday, but he is not responding. :( thanx for any help you can give me.

2. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I think you need a law forum, not an iPhone help forum. :) I would start with contacting your local police precinct's non-emergency number to file a rport and go from there.

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Oh my GOD, how could you be so foolish. There is even a warning on craigslist about money order transactions. Anyways, you are out of luck if he is trying to cheat you. If you call the police you have no proof of your claims. Its your word against his. You trusted a complete stranger.

5. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

YEAH I KNOW I'M STUPID :( I'll try to file a report first.

6. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

7. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Fly to cali, then go to a sporting goods store, buy a baseball bat, go to the dudes house and beat the crap out of him, then take his wallet.

Or call the money order bank and cancel the money orders just like canceling a check

8. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

In december apple had them on sale for 149 (1st gen) no contract.

9. krimedog macrumors member

10. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Contact the post office if this transaction or any part of it took place through the postal system it will be treated as mail fraud, the post office will most likely treat this more seriously than either your local police or those in California.

11. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Wow, glad I sold my first gen for $500 a year ago.

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You didn't even follow the first and most important rule on Craigslist.

No common sense. No money back for you.

13. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Its his word against the seller. He cant prove anything. The buyer did not observe due dilligence.

14. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

they have craigslist done loccaly for a reason. come on use you brain

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Most likely, you're out of luck and the money is long gone.

Think about what you have and whether it actually proves anything against anybody specific? You don't really have every much.

Unfortunately, you couldn't identify the scammer even if the police were to go investigate and find a suspect.......free email accounts are easy to come by and don't require any ID to set up so anybody could have sent those emails to you; he/she (do you even really know which?) could have easily given you a "name" that was fake; and who actually lives at the address you were given? His grandma? an accomplice? a neighbor? Probably nobody at that address will admit to knowing anything about anything involving selling an iphone to you.