Getting Screwed by Apple

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CaptMike, Nov 30, 2012.

1. CaptMike macrumors regular

CaptMike

Ok, so after waiting 8 months for the new generation to arrive, I (we) are getting screwed by the inability to BTO the way some of us want it. You cannot have your cake and eat it too unless you opt for the TOL 27"

Examples:

Objective: To be able to upgrade RAM to 32GB AND get the i7 processor

21.5" w/ i7 (so far so good) BUT cannot upgrade RAM to 32GB...cant do it must look at the next higher model....

27" (low end) Upgradable to 32GB RAM but cannot get i7 processor....cant do it must look at the top end model.

27" (high end) Yes, can now get upgradable RAM to 32GB AND the i7 processor

Backed into the corner by Apple

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

That sucks, but that's not new, is it? Seems to me they've always had weird BTO restrictions.

3. MacDouble macrumors member

And this is called 'marketing'. If you want all features you have to pay more for it ;)

4. drawnacrol macrumors newbie

I wish the 21.5 had an optional 256 SSD drive and upgradable memory. I would jump on it then.

5. madrag macrumors 6502

I just bought the Mini i7 2.6GHz, user upgradeable was key for me, and I bet that in some time it will support 32GB RAM.

I agree Apple has made a sad deal with the iMacs, as you said, one has to get the top machine to get all the "goodies", but shouldn't have to.

6. Galatian macrumors 6502

Galatian

Just because it is not an BTO option doesn't mean you can't upgrade yourself! It is and has always been much cheaper anyway...

7. nOw2 macrumors regular

Life sucks. I wanted a supercharged X-Type, but Jaguar forced me to buy an S-Type. I wanted an X-Type with supercharger, the old V12 engine and cloth seats!!!. Never buying Jag again!!!!!!11!

8. CaptMike thread starter macrumors regular

CaptMike

How would you propose to get the mentioned i7 into the low end 27" ?

9. Galatian macrumors 6502

Galatian

From the looks of the teardown of this japanese site that has been on the front page, the processors are socketed and thus with a little work you could probably add the one you want...

Then again what would an i7 on the low end bring on the table that the i5 can't?

10. CaptMike, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

CaptMike thread starter macrumors regular

CaptMike

Oh...no thanks....none of that nonsense.

[/QUOTE]Then again what would an i7 on the low end bring on the table that the i5 can't?[/QUOTE]

I do not know, but I know someone on this site does.

11. bbydon macrumors 6502a

BTO is done by price points so they can hit the target price.
    So if BTO was on everything it would be harder to streamline the process.
    That is why certain machines get it and some don't

12. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

If you don't already know that you need the i7 then you don't need the i7. The i5 Ivy's are incredibly powerful processors. The i7 is overkill unless you have very, very specific requirements. So is 32gb RAM.

13. Galatian macrumors 6502

Galatian

Just making sure he understands...But there has been a lot of whining today...a lot of people just know nothing about computers and then think they are entitled to bash Apple for their own stupidity...

14. CaptMike, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

CaptMike thread starter macrumors regular

CaptMike

I would propose that the above poster is caught up in their own "stupidity".

apple (yes small "a") has gone backward as noted here:
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/30/3709120/apple-imac-mac-mini-review

I will allow all others that feel the need to rush out and order one to do that and make a path for others that don't need to have it this year to sit back and watch the shake out of what will be offered, at a lower price, by the authorized apple resellers in the days to come.

15. Galatian macrumors 6502

Galatian

Seriously speakers? Base response? Even 50€ headphones will give you better sound quality then anyintegrated speakers! Have you ever heard someone say: "Wow the build in speaker in my Television have such a good sound quality I will never need to buy a 5.1 system!"? If you care for better sound get speakers...this is a lame point.