Getting screwed over by apple repair

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by felixkcp, Jan 24, 2010.

1. felixkcp macrumors newbie

My headphones randomly broke, they are the original ones from inside the iphone box. Now I brought them to repair they said 2,3 weeks. Ok I wait.. 4 weeks after no reply so I go there to check up, they say no we can't fix it, not under warranty..
    When I then wouldn't let go they came up with a new excuse that they needed my iphone with it for 2,3 weeks (which will end up being 4 again probably). Now obviously they know customers wont do that for headphones, I mean I need my phone constantly and can't miss it for that long without temporary replacement. They tell me they don't can't let it be fixed because they don't know if they are the original ones so they need my phone. Now there is no serial number on the headphones, so how would they know the difference if I gave my phone with it to the original ones and if they are ones which I bought after?
    I think apple are just making excuses (as always) to not repair anything under warranty.:mad::mad::mad:

2. Queso macrumors G4

The iPhone headphones are crappy as hell quality-wise. They break even when you take great care when putting them in pockets etc. I know of several occurrences where iPhone owning friends have received free replacements via Genius Bars. Keep at them.

3. Paul B macrumors 6502

You mean the earphones, right? How did they break?

4. felixkcp thread starter macrumors newbie

ye earphones sorry. Well to be honest, I had them in my pocket and when I took them out the left one wouldn't work anymore. the mic and control still works on the left one, just no sound.

and the apple genius bar helps if you are in the us.. thanks though for that advice Queso:)

5. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I took my headphones yesterday to the Apple Store because the microphone and center button stopped working. Those are the same headphones I've had since I got my 3GS (July 8th). They are 5 months old and I got a new replacement without a problem.

6. felixkcp thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Stone Mountain,Georgia

8. Surely Guest

Surely

If the headphones aren't covered under warranty, why should Apple be required to replace them if they stop working?:confused:

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The iPhone headphones are covered by warranty and Apple Care. I had mine replaced at least 8 times in 2 years, 6 of those times after purchasing Apple Care. Two of the replacements were over the phone, the others were instore. I did this in 3 different states. Anyone who tells you they aren't covered is lying.

TEG

10. makinao macrumors regular

felixkcp: Did you bring them to an Apple store or a reseller? Where are you?

I think the earphone replacement is true for all iPods. My daughter bought a pair of original iPod earphones from an local authorized reseller. Six months later, one side went dead. We brought them back to the reseller, and all they asked for was the sales receipt since the earbuds don't have serial numbers on them. The reseller sent it back to Apple and Apple replaced them under warranty in two weeks.

A year later she bought a new Nano from another local authorized reseller, and the earphones started buzzing after 6 months. We brought it in and again, Apple replaced it in two weeks. All they asked for was the serial number of the Nano it came with. But we never had to surrender the Nano.

BTW, I am in the Philippines.

11. felixkcp thread starter macrumors newbie

surely: they are under warranty, only 4months old, but they are making up excuses on why it's not under warranty anymore.

makinao: We only have apple premium resellers here in Belgium..
    I have the exact same problem as you that one of them suddenly stopped working and the other started buzzing. As I said they are just giving me excuses on why not to repair (or replace) them. I find that very sad since they don't cost to much to produce and I bought them fair and square and apple should come up to their warranty! (since ye they are not cheap) I know they don't need my iphone, it's just a trick to get out of replacing them, since what if I needed my phone for business I can't just give it up and they know that.

12. makinao macrumors regular

Email steve jobs (either sjobs@apple.com or steve.jobs@apple.com or whatever) and complain about it. It has worked for me, and it seems a number of other people on this board.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Good to know. I guess I've read the FUD and remembered it.

I don't use the Apple headphones, so it isn't something I am concerned about.

Over a pair of headphones? That's ridiculous. Just call Apple directly and talk with their customer service. If you explain to them what is happening, I'm sure they could suggest a proper solution.

If everyone emailed that address over every little thing, that address won't be there for a real problem.

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

Contact Apple directly. Name the reseller and that you are having a hard time. See if that gets the wheel moving.

15. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

+1. That's the best way to start.

16. felixkcp thread starter macrumors newbie

17. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Don't abuse this. If everyone wrote to sjobs for every little thing, it won't work when we really need it.

Think people..

18. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Something makes me think that it's not just Jobs that looks at the inbox for those addressed, if he looks at them directly at all.

19. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

I assume that at some point this was his real e-mail address

then the iPhone came out and idiots with a small crack on their iPhone's/dumb reason thought it would be OK to e-mail the CEO of the company over their small problem

It has already been abused to death

20. felixkcp thread starter macrumors newbie

ye, I contact apple directly and guess what,... they said "it's not our problem. talk to the people where you bought it." great help