Getting sick and tired of the Fanboy hate

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by macfan881, Jul 16, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Now over the last few months with the whole iPhone situation with the Gizmodo situation to people owning droid phones etc. it seems to me that the being a mac fan or fanboy etc is being coniciderd a bad thing, now last time i checked this is a "Mac" site its sad to see now that any one trys to defend apple on these forums now get called out or trolled etc. any one else besides me getting tired of this recent trend in here?

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I'm a Mac fan. But that's different from being a fanboy which typically means that you're blind to faults and frustratingly skewed and biased. People like me deserve respect the latter deserve everything they get :D

3. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I think it'll pass. Given the fact that happy people are usually quiet and unhappy people are usually loud, it's fallacious to take all the noise as evidence of a cataclysmic failure on Apple's part. I love my iPhone 4 and so does everyone I know, antenna and all. My proximity sensor is not good yet, but I am confident in Apple's ability and intention to make it good.

Today's press conference brought it home. You can return the iPhone, or you can keep it knowing what you know about and get a free gift in the process. Continuing to complain serves no purpose.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Stop making it so easy.

The problem is that true fanboy arguments (and the ones that get labeled as trolls) blindly defend Apple with a mentality that is not based on a) reality or b) tact. There are plenty of posters who make reasoned arguments for (and against) Apple- there's nothing wrong with that.

5. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

How about we simply stop using the term 'fanboy'?

When someone, who might reasonably be called a fanboy, goes beyond stating a simple opinion, and starts distorting the facts, let's call him/her out on that, by arguing against his or her position, in a way that invites a fruitful discussion. To question someone's motivation by throwing out the 'fanboy' accusation and thereby pretty much indicating that you're going to discount his argument regardless of its possible merit, makes no real sense to me.

6. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I'm tired of the "fanboy" trend......

I haven't been called one...

I'm not too much of the guy that gets a MacBook and upgrades the memory and memorizes it's memory and internal stuff or idk anything about computer science.. I don't know the history of apple too much either.....I only memorize things from the late 1990s.

I like macbooks, iPods, and iPads, because I like their purpose and design and I have them.

I don't have an iMac, iPhone, or apple TV!.

Am I a fanboy? Idk.....

I like some things and I don't like other things.

What are the characteristics of a fanboy anyways?

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Computer specs in a signature and overuse of :apple: symbols, for starters.

8. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Guilty as charge :p

But if I say apple Fu**** up with iPhone 4 but I still love them, would you consider me a fanboy or a supporter or whatever you please.?

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'd ask how can you live with yourself. :D

10. iphone4imwaitin macrumors newbie

by the way it s our choice to be a fanboy or not to be ..

i am a user of ipods and iphone and im proud of myself:apple::apple:

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd probably ignore you because you don't have an iPhone 4. If you had one it would be in your signature.

12. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

My Blackberry isn't helping me:D

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This is exactly it.

Fanboys see through any problem, or as some people here do, convert that problem into a positive thing and a sole reason why Apple should be worshipped nonstop by all.

Fanboys are a bad thing. Fans are a good thing.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Exactly. When people can't admit that their view is biased, there will be issues. Same applies if their ego is too big so they cannot admit that they are wrong, even though they know they are.

iPhone forum is no longer a forum. It's a battlefield. Too many people join this site in order to troll. It's not a surprise though. If people's only aim is to contaminate their anger, there won't be anything else but chaos.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can take the high road or call them Microsheep or Fandroid.

I think most Microsoft FUDsters went to work for Android.

And Microsoft still spends about half a BILLION dollars on "advertising" etc.

16. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Yep you nailed it computer specs and a long list of Apple products in a signature. It is the number one warning sign you are wasting your time attempting to engage in any serious debate with a particular individual.

17. iDvisic macrumors member

Personally, I think that dogmatism has poisoned both camps. You can no longer be someone who just happens to enjoy a product--unless you take a vow of silence. If you weigh in on the argument at all, you are just one of the lemmings rushing toward the edge--completely incapable of forming your own opinions.

I think the real way of detecting a "fanboy" or "fandroid" is not in how they defend their own choices, but in how they attack the choices of others. "Oh, so you bought a Crapple phone? Have fun in your 'walled garden' with your lack of flash or any sort of choice/customization! I guess you drank the iSheep kool-aid!" Or, "Yeah, enjoy your crapdroid. I hope you enjoy your laggy, buggy OS that never gets updated...on a device that runs out of battery all the time. But, at least you get a stylus... /eyeroll"

The whole thing is just stupid. :rolleyes:

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I don't understand how something like electronic device being emotionally important enough to an individual to generate such an extremely strong emotion as hate.

Hate Hitler.

Hate cruelty.

Hate gratuitously inhumane behavior.

But "hate" an electronic device??!!

Save it for something more important.;)

19. belvdr macrumors 603

I hate this post. ;)

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Good choice!:p

21. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Well said as usual Shrink.
    And to be blunt I am sick of it also.
    IMO and non related topics should be locked (IE. dont ask about an android in the iPhone Forum, or the HP envy in the MBP forum)

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Discussing competitors' products is not unrelated. It's completely fine to ask whether one should buy an Android phone or iPhone, as long as it's done legitimately. The problem begins when people post trollish replies like "Android lags and never gets updated". Then someone else comes in and begins the war: "Oh, look! Another stupid iSheep who has never tried Android! Liking your Kool-Aid, eh?" And we all know the rest.

However, not all threads are like this. I've been into numerous PC vs Mac threads which have been fine. Sure, these debate threads cause a lot more work for us mods than e.g. troubleshooting threads do, but that doesn't mean that we should start playing nannies.

We don't live in an Apple bubble so there is no need to act like that.

23. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

So I'm qualified ... :apple:

Yes, I call myself the "official Apple fanboy" ; nothing wrong with that ...but I'm open for others, too. But finally be happy to come "home"

And hate is not needed in this context; that's waste of energy and immature.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This. I think calling someone a "fanboy" (or any of its other terms like iSheep) should be a warn-able offense. Its getting seriously annoying on this site.

----------

The computer specs are actually VERY useful especially in programming, buying advice, or graphics forums were people often ask what type of machine you are running on.

Instead of having to type your specs all the time people can see what you are using. Its why I put mine in there. I've gotten many PM's about how software runs on my machine.

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It already is:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Rules_for_Appropriate_Debate

And since name-calling is insulting, it's also a bannable offense:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules