Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It will happen if they gain a reputation for building expensive, unrepairable, non-upgradeable, underpowered, unreliable and out of date tech? At that stage Cook will have killed the goose.
Any ideas of when it will happen? This forum has posts going back to the early 2000s (way before Tim Cook's reign started) from users complaining about the price, performance, and reliability of Apple's products. The only thing new is non-upgradability in some Mac models.

Nogitsune

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
This is what, their third major pivot (in the last five years) regarding their mobile strategy? If that's not caution-inducing, ...

To your point, this isn't the death of Windows Mobile. Paul Thurrot (one of Microsoft's larger evangelists) sums it up as "Things aren’t going well, but this isn’t the end of the world." I agree.

Regarding the opinion of the other tech news site, it seems like it's being spun just as positively as the when Microsoft switched from Windows Mobile to Windows Phone, and when Microsoft rewrote Windows Phone for it second release, orphaning many first generation devices.

Maybe THIS will be the pivot that fixes things. Who knows. But until then, as someone who started with Microsoft in the early 2000s (with an imported T-Mobile PDA running Pocket PC Phone Edition) and stuck with them until the iPhone, I'm personally going to be wary until I start to see some true positive traction from this. Didn't really seem to happen after the last two pivots, but who knows.

The only major pivot was going from windows mobile to windows phone 7. Which was necessary since windows mobile was not future proof and couldn't compete with iOS at the time.

And windows phone 7 change to windows phone 8 which was an incredibly stupid move in Microsoft part. Windows phone 8.1 is a viable third choice for smartphones if you don't take in account the app situation and windows 10 mobile is a continuation and improvement over the others.

It wouldn't make sense for them to waste time and money with this whole one is and universal app if they are going to kill windows phone.

They kind of need mobile to make their universal app program mean something. Which is why I am not worried at all.

The last three years in windows phone all my Lumias have been updated and i have been well taken care of. Now if you buy a windows phone that isn't lumia then i would worry because everyone knows how the android oems turned windows phone oems are.

Phoenixx

Suspended
Jul 3, 2015
Any ideas of when it will happen?

It's already happening. Have a look through the forums at the number of users who are complaining about these issues. Some of these are dedicated Apple fans who have become disillusioned with the direction the company is taking. Have a look at the number of Mac Mini owners who refuse to "upgrade" to the latest version. Or the number of iMac owners who are the same. The user base is already being affected. How long will it take for Apple's reputation to be damaged? It's hard to say, but they can't keep doing what they are doing indefinitely without the general public noticing.

Reactions: iMi

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I'm a huge fan of Apple products, but Apple's current strategy reminds me of an Aesop Fable:

The Goose that Laid the Golden Egg

A man and his wife owned a very special goose. Every day the goose would lay a golden egg, which made the couple very rich.
"Just think," said the man's wife, "If we could have all the golden eggs that are inside the goose, we could be richer much faster."
"You're right," said her husband, "We wouldn't have to wait for the goose to lay her egg every day."
So, the couple killed the goose and cut her open, only to find that she was just like every other goose. She had no golden eggs inside of her at all, and they had no more golden eggs.

Too much greed results in nothing.

In this case Tim Cook is killing the user base and Apples reputation (Apple's Goose), in order to get the golden eggs (more profits). The fact that Apple has exploded profit wise is a dead giveaway of what is going on. The major problem with this approach is that Apple has spent decades building a user base of dedicated fans and a reputation of creating top quality goods and of being a leading innovator. At the moment it is using this reputation and user base in order to keep sales up, while simultaneously reducing the quality of what it is producing. But, Apple fans have a limit on what they are willing to put up with and sooner or later the public is going to catch on to what Apple is doing. Once this reputation is gone and the fan base fades, Apple will be in serious trouble. What will happen if they gain a reputation for building expensive, unrepairable, non-upgradeable, underpowered, unreliable and out of date tech? At that stage Cook will have killed the goose.

I think that's very over dramatic. Apple is doomed huh? It's all cooks fault lol. Profits are growing because cook is releasing things customers have been wanting. Smaller iPads, bigger iPhones, etc. he's also a supply chain expert so that helps too.

I think it's funny everyone wants groundbreaking innovation every time a product is released. Other companies are doing a good job too but please don't act like apple doesn't come out with new things either. 64 bit processing in smartphones, reliable Touch ID, force touch, swift programming, metal, usb c on an ultra book, 5k resolution on a computer, etc. all forward thinking.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It's already happening. Have a look through the forums at the number of users who are complaining about these issues. Some of these are dedicated Apple fans who have become disillusioned with the direction the company is taking. Have a look at the number of Mac Mini owners who refuse to "upgrade" to the latest version. Or the number of iMac owners who are the same. The user base is already being affected. How long will it take for Apple's reputation to be damaged? It's hard to say, but they can't keep doing what they are doing indefinitely without the general public noticing.
Yeah, but if you search back further, you'll see that everything you've said has been going on since this forum started back in 2001. That's my point. If dedicated Apple users have been complaining about the same things (price, specs, reliability) on here since 2001, then "it's already been happening" for the last 14 years.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

Sigh so looking through these forums the supposed unhappy few mean the company is going to be doomed huh. There are always people unhappy with any product release. These do not makeup the overall consensus, even if everyone on this forum was supposedly unhappy that's still only a fraction of consumers. Fwiw I also see many people on forums who are happy with macs especially the iMacs with the 5k display.

So I guess Apple will be doomed nobody knows when but yeah it'll happen sooner or later. Right...same could be said for every company ever.

Phoenixx

Suspended
Jul 3, 2015
Wow! There is nothing like being critical of Apple to bring out all the fanboys!!! I thought this might actually be a site where people were open to looking at their current direction critically. My mistake.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The only major pivot was going from windows mobile to windows phone 7. Which was necessary since windows mobile was not future proof and couldn't compete with iOS at the time.
Yeah, I counted the whole Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8 thing as a pivot point, because if seems like they had an idea of where they wanted their new OS (Windows Phone 7) to go in terms of competing with iOS/Android, and then seemed like right after releasing it, they realized it wasn't capable of getting them there, so they had to go and create a whole new OS (Windows Phone 8). Maybe that wasn't a pivot, ... if not, it seems like particularly poor planning on their part. :D

Windows phone 8.1 is a viable third choice for smartphones if you don't take in account the app situation
To me, the app situation is the about the only thing keeping Windows Phone from being more popular. The interface and capabilities are good, and unique enough to set Windows Phone apart from the competition. They've (IMO) just got to get the apps there, and I don't think the news about the recent restructuring of the mobile division is inspiring to developers. I'd imagine that like many tech enthusiasts, many developers are now in a "wait and see" holding pattern to see where Windows Phone goes. I don't think that's a good situation for consumers waiting for more apps.

It wouldn't make sense for them to waste time and money with this whole one is and universal app if they are going to kill windows phone.
I agree. But I'm waiting to see if they're going to do more than the bare minimum with it all.

Reactions: Nogitsune

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Wow! There is nothing like being critical of Apple to bring out all the fanboys!!! I thought this might actually be a site where people were open to looking at their current direction critically. My mistake.
Wait, what? I'm AGREEING with you that dedicated Apple customers are complaining about price, reliability, and specs. And I'm being EVEN MORE CRITICAL of Apple than you are by pointing out that this complaining has been going on for years longer than your posts make it seem like you're aware of.

That makes me a fanboy? Really?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

I agree. When people criticize a company, nobody should disagree with them about it or else they're fancies. I mean, when I want to criticize a company, I don't want anyone to disagree with me about it.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Agent-J

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
Apple's build quality is still generally quite good. That said, there have been a lot of compromises due to the simultaneous thinness fetish and insistence of extra-long battery life for iPhones and laptops, especially the new MacBook. My main issues are the software look and feel (new versions of iOS and OS X are unattractive to me), seemingly unfixable software bugs (3rd party keyboards in iOS fail constantly, Safari crashing in iOS, never-ending WiFi issues in OS X...), the importance not of industrial design but fashion (the Watch and the iPhone thinness fetish), and the new music direction makes me want to vomit.

I use my Apple stuff for work. It has to work, and not just sometimes. That's what I consider important, not the latest SJW cause, not the latest watchband color, not the latest hip-hop person to add their catalog to Apple Music, not how the new phone is 0.003 mm thinner than the last one. Apple's priorities have clearly diverged from mine.

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
I think the point being made here is that Apple's quality is certainly declining. We have two Macbook Airs (among every single Apple product except the watch). One is the last generation and the other is the new one (latest generation). There is a noticeable difference in the quality of the bottom enclosure, for example. The old unit is rock solid. The new one "clicks" and deforms under normal use when placed on anything other than a flat table.

Software we've covered already... The latest app releases; Photos, iTunes, iOS releases and even OS X are all half-baked, move away from the focus on the user and toward funneling additional revenue to Apple. I firmly believe Apple is doing too many things too quickly and has become overly greedy. They are taking their users for granted. Let's be honest, the guy in charge isn't a visionary but a very good corporate manager - he is squeezing more money out of the business at the cost of quality and user's experience. It's very much like the golden goose...

I don't think Apple is doomed. It won't go away anytime soon, but it will become a very ordinary company.

Nogitsune

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah, I counted the whole Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8 thing as a pivot point, because if seems like they had an idea of where they wanted their new OS (Windows Phone 7) to go in terms of competing with iOS/Android, and then seemed like right after releasing it, they realized it wasn't capable of getting them there, so they had to go and create a whole new OS (Windows Phone 8). Maybe that wasn't a pivot, ... if not, it seems like particularly poor planning on their part.

I think with windows Phone 7, they were sort of forced(as they were way behind) to bring it out when they did as Android begin skyrocketing around that time and IOS certainly wasn't letting up.

They likely KNEW that WP7 wasn't going to be a long term thing(Seeing as it was immediately replaced with WP8 2 years later) which is why it was messed up when the Lumia 900 came out on Att and it was the hero device only to literally become obsolete within 6 months when WP8 was announced...

Then on top of that they brought windows phone 7.8 which was really an insult to those users and I think that was a bad move as it pushed some people to other platforms.

Thankfully they are on the right track with WP8, 8.1 and 10 is a bit rough around the edges(it is still beta) but it is good thus far for what it is.

To me, the app situation is the about the only thing keeping Windows Phone from being more popular. The interface and capabilities are good, and unique enough to set Windows Phone apart from the competition. They've (IMO) just got to get the apps there, and I don't think the news about the recent restructuring of the mobile division is inspiring to developers. I'd imagine that like many tech enthusiasts, many developers are now in a "wait and see" holding pattern to see where Windows Phone goes. I don't think that's a good situation for consumers waiting for more apps.

The issue with windows Phone and apps is a catch 22. they need apps but the developers need more users on WP....but to get more users, they need the apsp.

Thankfully, on Windows Phone in 2015 it is not as bad as using Windows Phone in 2012(or even before that). We now have many of the popular apps.
The issue I have with Windows Phone apps is how ridiculous these devs are...Why would you release a NEW app for Windows phone that is already outdated compared to android/IOS.

At least release the app with the same current features. That being said the app situation is a lot better and it isn't as bad as many people try to make it sound.

I agree. But I'm waiting to see if they're going to do more than the bare minimum with it all.
I kind of am to. I am flirting with the iPhone now and it isn't love like it is with Windows Phone(it feels a bit weak in some areas), but it is a fun fling till Windows 10 is on new Lumias.

Reactions: aristobrat

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Forum users have never represented the mass consumer. It's a flaw to think they do.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I agree Tim Cook is doing a great job at opening up apple and the iPhone. Both in product options and software freedoms. And while improving profits and influence.

I say keep going. Despite their successes, the competition is also having their own impact on the industry. Apple cannot rest. Nobody can (cough HTC). The space is getting so competitive, which is good for us.

And apple is ridiculously far from doom.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You can't have a balanced discussion when you condemn those who disagree with you mate. Opinions should be welcome whether they agree or differ. This is a discussion forum, not a high five party with one-sided views.

Reactions: I7guy and MRU

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Forum users have never represented the mass consumer. It's a flaw to think they do.
Exactly. People who are interested in tech to the degree we are are a tiny fraction of the target market. This is probably the reason Apple listen to the majority rather than us and it seems to be working lol!

To be honest I find Google just as bad for forcing subscription on us. It's just the way it works these days and they want our details. It doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the OP. :)

Reactions: MRU

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
I've about had it with Apple, too. I used to be a die hard Apple fanboy... until I tried out my Mom's Nexus 7. I liked it so much that I bought one too. I love the customization that you can do to the UI and the fact that APPS CAN RUN IN THE BACKGROUND. I still have an iPhone but I'm pretty sure that my next phone will be an Android device (Probably a Moto X).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

And windows phone 7 change to windows phone 8 which was an incredibly stupid move in Microsoft part. Windows phone 8.1 is a viable third choice for smartphones if you don't take in account the app situation and windows 10 mobile is a continuation and improvement over the others.

They kind of need mobile to make their universal app program mean something. Which is why I am not worried at all.

The last three years in windows phone all my Lumias have been updated and i have been well taken care of. Now if you buy a windows phone that isn't lumia then i would worry because everyone knows how the android oems turned windows phone oems are.
Adding qualifiers to Microsoft's "pivots" in the mobile space is not helpful. I doubt many remember that at one time Microsoft was THE player in the PDA/smartphone space. There were at least 3 "pivots" by Microsoft and they all have an accumulative effect. Their 2-3% marketshare now cannot be simply chalked up to the iPhone juggernaut. It was primarily a self-inflicted wound.

As I outlined in detail in another thread, Microsoft will be getting out of the consumer smartphone business. Project inertia, corporate contracts and partnerships, and managing customer confidence all factor in to how and when Microsoft will wind things down.

As for their "universal app program"... this isn't the first time that Microsoft has made intentions like this. All previous attempts failed. There is nothing fundamentally different this go-round to indicate that it will be different.

Nogitsune

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
Adding qualifiers to Microsoft's "pivots" in the mobile space is not helpful. I doubt many remember that at one time Microsoft was THE player in the PDA/smartphone space. There were at least 3 "pivots" by Microsoft and they all have an accumulative effect. Their 2-3% marketshare now cannot be simply chalked up to the iPhone juggernaut. It was primarily a self-inflicted wound.

As I outlined in detail in another thread, Microsoft will be getting out of the consumer smartphone business. Project inertia, corporate contracts and partnerships, and managing customer confidence all factor in to how and when Microsoft will wind things down.

As for their "universal app program"... this isn't the first time that Microsoft has made intentions like this. All previous attempts failed. There is nothing fundamentally different this go-round to indicate that it will be different.

Considering many of these things you list are under a different era of Microsoft under a much different CEO than Satya(Similar to how cook is definitely different from Jobs), most of your claims are unsubstantiated really.

Nobody is talking about the PDA era of smartphones. We were talking about Windows Phone and the 'pivots' within that Operating system...not something 10-15 years ago :)

In regards to their limited market share...Yes part of the blame has to do with the fact they underestimated the iPhone back in 2007.

It also has to do with the fact that from the time iPhone was released and announced and then android.......Microsoft did not have a good operating system until 2010 with Wp7...and it was a poorly handled/execution(WP8 is what 7 should've been and 8.1 is what 8 should have been in truth, this is coming from a wp fan)

But yes the fact that no one expected Apple to do as well as it did is a huge reason why...and then with the Android revolution, that is a huge reason why Apple themselves are facing a solid threat as well as Microsoft.

Oh in regards to 'exiting the consumer smartphone business" I am going to have to respectfully say you're false on that.

http://wmpoweruser.com/even-if-no-one-builds-windows-phones-we-will/

So it is highly doubtful they are going to be exiting. Satya is doing things drastically different from your memories of Microsoft.

pmcdunnough

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
I've about had it with Apple, too. I used to be a die hard Apple fanboy... until I tried out my Mom's Nexus 7. I liked it so much that I bought one too. I love the customization that you can do to the UI and the fact that APPS CAN RUN IN THE BACKGROUND. I still have an iPhone but I'm pretty sure that my next phone will be an Android device (Probably a Moto X).

Well you should get what you want the most. I have many Android, Windows but especially Apple devices. I've gone through the Google TV, Chromecast, Samsung Note, etc... thing but I kind of view Android as a type of Linux and the whole thing just seems to be a mess with Google changing strategies every other year.

I admit to mainly being an Apple user but I find what Microsoft is doing with Windows to be interesting. Apple does appear to be less exciting these days but I guess it's hard to come up with hits every year. I wish they would get around to exploiting the possibilities of the Apple TV.

I think Android has lost its appeal for me. Google is too ad oriented and its world is a mess with everyone doing something different. In the longer term I would not count either Microsoft or Apple out. In fact I suspect they will be around long after people have tired of the mess that is Android and price becomes less of an issue.

As far as multitasking goes I think that battery life and weight are far more important in a low powered device. Pre-emptive multitasking is not necessarily what is best for a phone.

Philip

Reactions: iMi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.