Getting sick of iTunes - artwork

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrCheeto, Feb 1, 2011.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I'm about to give up on iTunes and the iPod function of the iPhone since the latest release of iOS 4.

Firstly, the iPhone has been relentless in it's software bugs.

Now I've noticed iTunes also being quite active in it's acts of buggery and other such... buggery.

It seems that iTunes randomly shrinks my iTunes artwork. I make it a point to never add artwork smaller than 500x500 pixels, yet I can randomly click on any of my songs and they're puny!!!!

What is iTunes doing behind my back to murder my hard work???!!! I've used the "Get Album Artwork" function in iTunes. Is there a chance that it a-holishly replaces my artwork with their inferior mess?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you use iTunes Get Album Artwork, it will download artwork and overwrite what you manually installed. If you're manually adding artwork, don't use the Get Album Artwork. I prefer manually adding artwork, mostly from Album Art Exchange.

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

[​IMG]

Thanks for the link bro. It is most useful. In fact I'm inluv with it so much that if you had given me this link in person, in the form of a physical object, I would sling one arm around you, dip you down, lifting you off your feet, and shove my tongue down your cake pipe. Now you can take that as a creepy come-on or you can be a man and send pics.

I'm going to wave my fist at all 5 nearby Apple stores in a moment. Wish meh luck ^.^

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT!!! I can delete the link! I promise! Just give me a sec!!! :D

5. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I really do wish that it would work better. It is such a pain when you have a huge library doing it manually.

6. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Well... for somebody who worships music and considers Judas Priest's Nostradamus the greatest opera, having wicked album artwork and, more importantly, accurate artwork, is only kosher.

I don't like iTune's puny artwork and I don't like that they use the wrong artwork. They may only offer a song on a compilation album, but I as a purist want the original album name and artwork.

For this, I am eternally grateful:

[​IMG]

7. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

They give us Apple TV's for connecting to HDTV's, iPhones with Retina Displays and iPads with large displays but tiny artwork. Sort it Apple. Please?

I know it's a niggle but the Devil's in the detail for me :)

8. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

Album Art Exchange is absolutely brilliant. I never use the 'Get Album Artwork' feature of iTunes now. I'd much rather put it in manually and ensure that I've got the best looking artwork possible.

9. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Itunes can only the artwork of albums they currently have. It doesn't scour the internet for artwork. So if you're ripping an album that is either an older version or not available, don't be surprised if it doesn't have artwork. As the other poster said, Album Art Exchange is generally THE go-to site, but even they don't have some of the stuff I rip.

As for "puny" I don't know what to tell you. I will use Itunes' artwork for things that I know are current and correct, and they're very large (600x600, I believe? Not sure.) I've never seen a small cover for anything Itunes has added itself. The couple of times I accidentally let it take care of artwork for chunks of my collection, it sure made a mess, assigning completely incorrect artwork (not just the wrong albums but the wrong artists!) so I won't make that mistake again. But one at a time, I can deal with it. Itunes' artwork, when correct, is usually very high quality.

10. runofthedill macrumors member

does anyone have a good program that uses amazons artwork? My friend clicked it the other day and messed up a lot of my artwork.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Amazon's artwork isn't always the best. Read a few post above yours to see a better alternative.

12. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The stuff iTunes applies tends to be thumbnail sized. Not only that, but they seem to often be scans, and poor ones at that. Steve bragged on their album artwork several times, so I assumed I would have said quality when I downloaded my first iTunes songs. Wrong. Not only are they often crooked and worn, but when it's a CD cover, you can see the staples!! This is unacceptable. If you're going to scan a physical copy, at least make it vinyl!!

But eh. I can care less that others will have crappy artwork and, often times, crappy MP3's and WMA's. These noobs couldn't discern artifacts if the bit rates were in the single digits. Sad that they complain about iTune's costs, not realizing AAC is superior and iTunes quality is constant.

My library is the best around. I am leet.

(Though...I sometimes prefer my vinyl <.< )

13. runofthedill macrumors member

Yeah, its a little hard to do when you have 22k songs manually.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why? I've done over 30K. You don't have to do it one track at a time; just one album at a time.

15. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Refresh my memory... why do people like artwork? I always delete all artwork whenever I add music. It just eats up space.

When I listen to iTunes, I'm either searching the web, emailing, or doing things about the house. I'm not looking at the artwork.

16. runofthedill macrumors member

well either way, I don't really feel like working my way through all those albums. So a tool that does it would be nice if it exists outside of the itunes one. I know there is one, im just wondering whats best.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some people do like album artwork, either to look at when browsing and identifying albums in iTunes (sometimes I remember the album by the cover, rather than the name), it also comes in handy for printing CD covers. Some just like having the artwork for historical purposes. Yes, it consumes space, but with the prices of hard drives so low, that's not a big issue for those who value artwork.

18. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Indeed. Play any Van Halen, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Dio, Ozzy, or Journey hit and I'll tell you the year and album all o,cause I always associate the music playing with it's album. Not just via iTunes and the iPhone, but when you take the time to throw on an LP, you're going to remember a lot about it.

Steve explained it as well, music is becoming detached. By preserving the artwork you are preserving the music's third dimension. The other dimensions being the music itself and perhaps any accompanying music videos. Only Time Will Tell by Asia will never sound the same again once you've seen the video. All of these come together to paint the artist's original intended feel and soul. Everything from British Steel just sounds that much more 70's, English, and metal when you have the album in your hands or, next best, displayed on the device that's playing it.

No matter what we're listening to, it's not just a song. It's part of an artist's development in their understanding of life. Listen to Michael Jackson and his life enters phases beginning with his coming into his own on Off The Wall, viewing the world as something beautiful with endless opportunities, but troubled and unfair on Thriller, and feeling abused by the media in Bad. These are all developmental points in his life and his music is more alive when you can understand the unsung music.

...then again, some people are just as happy with injection-molded sounds like Kesha and Gah-Gah.

19. Salacion macrumors 6502a

I have no idea what you're talking about. Thumbnail size? All my music is bought on iTunes (some 5k songs), and each album artwork is 650x650. Opening up CoverFlow in fullscreen is a delight.

20. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

[​IMG]

This was downloaded by iTunes... Yeh, those scuff marks are surely delightful -.-'

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I guess I was wrong about Album Art Exchange having better quality artwork than iTunes. They cheated me out of those scuff marks!

vanhal-womena_03.jpg

22. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto