getting SIM replaced...help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dccorona, Jun 24, 2009.

1. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Ok so heres the problem
    for about a month now, I've been having problems with calls not coming in or going out, and texts coming in hours or even days after they're sent
    roblem was originally on a 3G, restarts and restores didn't fix the problem. My friend mentioned it may be the SIM card
    I had the phone replaced by Apple for cracks (didn't mention the reception issues as i was on 3.0 beta and knew that they wouldn't replace for software issues). However, this new phone continued to have the same problems

Now, my brand new 3GS is having the same problems, so its quite obvious that the issue isn't with the device. Either I have a bad SIM (I did an upgrade swap and so the old SIM is in the new phone) or there are some very serious ATT issues. But this doesn't seem to affect any of my friends on ATT, with or without iPhones

Today I went to the ATT store to have the SIM replaced...and they want $25
    I know there has to be a way to have this replaced for free. There's clearly an issue with the SIM card, and I know people have had them replaced free before

anyone know what I need to do to resolve this issue?

2. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Your new phone should have come with a SIM in it. Go see if they will activate that one on your number to use?

3. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

This won't really help, but I had similar problems and the person replaced it without asking for anything except my number. It only took about a minute.

4. dccorona thread starter macrumors 68020

dccorona

it came with a SIM, which had my moms number on it
    I had to activate the phone with that SIM in it, then switch SIMs and put the one that came with it into my moms old phone so it'd work again

the guy at the store did mention something about how they might do it at a corporate store...is that the trick? do I have to go all the way out to my nearest corporate store?

5. w3cum macrumors regular

I had the same issues a while ago with my 3g. it was infact the SIM card.. but it took me 3 of them to get everything resolved. They tried to charge me but I stood in the store and called att (from a different phone) and got tech support on the phone... Kind of made everyone uncomfortable till they game me the sim. Make sure you make them give you a NEW one ... watch them actually seperate it from the card... they tried to give me a used one and that was part of the issues I was having.

6. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

I'm assuming you didn't go to a corporate AT&T store, because of the $25.00 fee. If you go to a corporate store, they will exchange and give you a new SIM card for free. I just did it last week.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Unfortunately, yes you do. You went to a 3rd party agent store, who must pay for every SIM card AT&T gives them, without any leeway for defective SIM issues.

Corporate stores, however, have more discretion and aren't charged for every SIM they give out. So you should be able to get a free replacement from them.

8. dccorona thread starter macrumors 68020

dccorona

thanks guys
    I guess ill head to my nearest corporate store