Getting site listed in Apple News

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Michael CM1, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Has anybody else tried to get a news site listed in Apple News? I signed up for it and I think I gave them the right RSS feeds -- it's the links you would use to subscribe to a feed through any third-party RSS reader. But it's been about a week and I haven't heard back.

Is Apple even adding new RSS feeds right now or did it just pick a bunch of larger publications to add? I know it's still in beta, but I'd love to see just what the RSS treatment for our stuff would be.

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I also signed up as a Apple news publisher. In set up it said I would receive an email when the iCloud.com publisher is ready to use. I have not gotten a single email about Apple news at all. I haven't added an RSS feed but I think it's a safe bet to just give it a little time for now.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

I signed up with my RSS feed as well and they replied back a few days later saying that there was an issue with what I submitted. They didn't say what exactly was wrong so I wasn't sure what to fix.

It's been a couple weeks...I should probably go back in and fix it.

4. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

I got an email a couple of days ago. They told me there was a problem with my application and to contact them. So I filled out a form to send in. Has anybody successfully gotten their RSS feeds in? I'm guessing it will have something to do with the data used for the RSS. I copied the RSS links on our pages to the field given when signing up. The FAQ has a lot of info about RSS feeds that involves the development behind them, which I sure as heck am not familiar with.

Hoping to hear back soon, but damn I had hoped it would just be "insert link here" since they already grabbed a ton of larger publications.

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

Had the same thing happen to me. I thought it was just because j supplied them with the wrong link, but not sure.

6. DeApp1e macrumors 6502

DeApp1e

I submitted my site and got accepted a week later with a welcome email etc. :)

7. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

Congrats! Did you just submit links to the RSS feeds or was it something more advanced? I'm wondering if they're mad that I used the company's name in the Name fields instead of mine.

8. DeApp1e macrumors 6502

DeApp1e

I have a Wordpress website (self hosted), so finding the RSS links was easy. I submitted the links for RSS feeds only.

Filled in my company's information and name (including my full name for contact details, they don't show this information on the News platform) and boom, done :)

9. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

Well, I found out the problem. Apple didn't like that I had submitted a logo with a white background. I knew I had done that but I figured I would fix it in a few days. Apple was all (in a nicer way), "Uh, no. Fix it." So I did. Submitted it last night and it's already a channel.

Now I just hope we get access to more features. I'm hoping early access to the News format stuff doesn't require being a registered developer. Right now I really just wish I knew how to make photos show up in the stories inside News. I'm guessing it has something to do with how objects are coded on the site, and considering all of the fun "oh this doesn't work right" stuff we have found over the years I'm not surprised something doesn't work correctly.

The topic listings already make getting your RSS feeds listed valuable. I just wish there was a way to control that because it's apparently just like an SEO nightmare right now. I just saw a short story on a couple of fires that was for some reason tagged "Soccer." There's not a single word in there I would associate with soccer -- we're not in Chicago, so "fire" all over the place shouldn't do that.