Getting Snow Leopard for my MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by redsoxfan626, Aug 16, 2010.

1. redsoxfan626 macrumors member

I have a three year old MacBook running Tiger and I just bought an iPad. Apparently, syncing my iPad with my MacBook requires 10.5 or higher, so I would need to update to Snow Leopard. My question is this: would updating an old computer to such a new operating system make it run slower? For example, I updated my iPhone 3G to iOS 4 and it's very slow now. Would updating an old laptop to Snow Leopard affect the performance in any way?

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

As long as your MacBook meets the hardware specifications of Snow Leopard, I don't see why your laptop would slow down due to it.

I don't believe there is an upgrade path from Tiger to Snow Leopard, so you'll have to do a clean install, I'm sure an archive will be an option for you.

As for your phone, I have 3G model and it has slowed down terribly. I'm going to move off from iPhone and give the upcoming Windows Phone 7 a spin when it arrives :)

3. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Pinched from Wikipedia's article on Mac OS 10.6

Apple states the following basic Snow Leopard system requirements are:

• Mac computer with an Intel processor (IA-32). "Yonah" processors such as Core Solo and Core Duo can run only 32-bit applications; later x86-64 architecture processors such as Core 2 will also be able to run 64-bit applications.
    • 1 GB of RAM
    • 5 GB of free disk space
    • DVD drive (also accessible via Remote Disc) or external USB or FireWire DVD drive for installation

Additional requirements to use certain features:
    • QuickTime H.264 hardware acceleration support, requires an Nvidia GeForce 9400M, 320M, or GT 330M graphics card
    • OpenCL, requires a supported Nvidia or ATI graphics card
    • Snow Leopard does not support PowerPC-based Macs (e.g., Power Macs, PowerBooks, iBooks, iMacs (G3-G5), all eMacs, plus pre-February 2006 Mac minis and the Power Mac G4 Cube), although PowerPC applications are supported via Rosetta, which is now an optional install.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Snow Leopard will require more resources then Tiger. How much RAM do you have? If your MacBook is a core 2 duo, I suggest having 4GB installed. This will give you the effect of having approximately 3.3GB. In addition, you need to have adequate free hard drive space (10-15%) and if you don't, you should upgrade that as well. If you do upgrade the hard drive, you may consider a 7200rpm drive which is faster than the 5400rpm stock drive.

I performed these suggested upgrades to a first gen MacBook* and Snow Leopard runs fine on it.

* Since the first gen MacBook is core duo, it was limited to a 2GB RAM upgrade.

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

6. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    SL will make it run faster :D :D

consider doing a backup, erase and fresh install straight from the SL disc.
    it will make an enormous difference to your machine.

7. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Yes there is. Upgrades that save all user data are fully possible.

8. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Thanks for the correction.

So what's with the Mac Box Set because the standalone Snow Leopard disc is to upgrade from Leopard, or so they say on the Apple Store description. Can you do an upgrade install with the from the standalone Snow Leopard disc even if you're running Tiger?

9. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    Yesh you can!
    http://osxdaily.com/2009/08/28/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard-upgrade-works-on-tiger-104-machines

but seriously consider my recent suggestion that you backup your home folder and then do a wipe and fresh install of the Snow Leopard, followed by your Apps - update the whole she-bang and then add the contents of your Home folder from your backup.

it's a bit fiddly, but you're up for it I'm sure.
    result - a sharp and snappy MacBook bringing the wow factor back to your Mac experience :D

10. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

The "upgrade" Snow Leopard disk is a full install.

11. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I have SL installed on a Yonah MBP and it's working like a charm. With only 2GB. So no worries go for it.

12. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Only difference between the SL disk in the "Mac Box Set" and the actual Snow Leopard "upgrade disk" is the EULA. If anyone reads those, the Mac Box Set copy officially endorses upgrading from Tiger; the upgrade disk does not. However, there is absolutely no mention of this fact on the box under "System Requirements" so the end-user will never actually know until he/she opens the box whereupon they can't return the software anymore. Bit of a con on Apple's part, don't you think?

13. TOYSTER17 macrumors regular

I bought a mac off of craigslist a few days ago that had Leopard on it. Tried doing a clean install and somehow managed to mess it up, well it had more to do with it scratching the leopard disk so then I couldn't boot into anything. Anyway, mines a 5,1. Took it to a genius and also mentioned I wanted to buy snow leopard for it and she installed snow leopard for free:D