Getting someone else to buy iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tomtom101, Oct 16, 2011.

1. tomtom101 macrumors regular

Hey guys, just wondering, if i got someone to buy me a new iphone, is there any risks?? Like can they take the IMIE number and do anything?? Kinda on the fence about getting someone to buy one for me??

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If it is a CDMA phone, they could report the ESN stolen leaving you with a paperweight.

Big picture, though, if you're having doubts, find someone else who you trust more.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not only could they take the IMEI number, they could take the phone itself.

As the poster above suggests, find someone you trust more. Or do it yourself. There's this thing called online shopping...

4. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Yeah, that's a tough call. My (former) best friend, about a year ago, asked me to add him to my plan, so I did. This August we went to Vegas together and things went south REALLY fast. As soon as we got back home, I asked him to get his own account and I kindly released his number back to him with no drama.

Since I purchased the phone with MY debit card (his money, though), on MY account, I had every legal right to leave him with a useless phone AND keep his number of 10+ years (he had it with Sprint but ported it to my account, basically legally giving me ownership of his telephone number). And, trust me, I was tempted to be a complete prick and eff him over like that but, ultimately, I took the high road.

So, just because you trust the person now, and everything looks good, things between people can, and do, change. Your best bet is to have a parent or sibling do it for you. It greatly reduces the likelihood of them screwing you over. Good luck!