Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
So last night around 10:30 PM my iPhone 5 starts buzzing that I'm getting new texts (they came in as iMessages). The weird thing was I didn't send any message that looked like came from me. I actually watched things show up that looked like I was typing them, but I wasn't. There is a screenshot below. The person receiving the messages said something like it looked like the real sender was sending from a phone number and (my) email address.

Anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

http://db.tt/7oxMHQEh

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
So last night around 10:30 PM my iPhone 5 starts buzzing that I'm getting new texts (they came in as iMessages). The weird thing was I didn't send any message that looked like came from me. I actually watched things show up that looked like I was typing them, but I wasn't. There is a screenshot below. The person receiving the messages said something like it looked like the real sender was sending from a phone number and (my) email address.

Anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

http://db.tt/7oxMHQEh

Did someone include you on a group message? Using your email address instead of your phone number? In settings do you have checked your phone number and email address for iMessage? If so can't someone just use that as a group message, like say I want to txt 5 people, I include 555-1212, 555-1213, and you@address.com and it goes out to those people. Because you have an email associated with your iMessage you get it. Just a guess, I don't send group iMessages out myself.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I didn't know either of the people and there is no way it was a group thing. I did have an iPhone 4S with iMessage but its still in my possession.

It's like person 1 started texting person 2 and in the middle of it all, somehow my email address for iMessage got sucked in. Like I said, it was like watching someone send messages from my own phone as they showed up as sent from me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.