Getting someone else's upgrade - questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dreamover, Sep 13, 2012.

1. dreamover macrumors newbie

This seems too easy...

So I bought the 64 GB 4S last year, and I want the 64 GB 5, but i'm not up for an upgrade until july 2013. Well, I have a buddy at work who has a 3GS with a shattered screen and he's been waiting to upgrade. He was just interested in getting the 4S for $99. I told him, I'll give him the money to purchase the 64 GB 5, he'll give me the phone and i'll sell him my 64 GB 4S for $100.

Are there any complications that can arise from this? I would sync my phone with itunes, then transfer everything to the new phone. Then wipe the 4S and he'd do the same to upgrade his phone.

He would get the upgrade fee on his bill and I wouldn't, right?

2. dreamover thread starter macrumors newbie

3. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

you may need to get another sim since once they activate it on his number it is said and done. Also if you plan on pre ordering from apple it will be shipped to the billing info that your friend has. If he is local than you're fine.

4. slookx24 macrumors member

Should work. If he does that for you, consider yourself lucky. I don't know why he's doing it for you actually. He's gonna lock himself into a 2 year contract with an older, used iPhone 4S that he has to pay you $100 for?? I know it's a 64gb, but still. You're asking him to do a lot. Just give him the 4S for free.

5. dreamover thread starter macrumors newbie

it's really a win-win for both of us. he got the 3GS for free when the 4s came out. he really wants 64 GB of data, but is happy with a 4/4s and doesn't want to spend $400 on a new phone. the 64 gb is more important than the new phone to him. he doesn't mind being in a new contract.

oh, and i'm letting him have the earpods.