Getting sound on my TV from the MBA

audunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2012
I have the 2011 MBA, and I am wondering if its possible to get the audio though the thunderport, or do I need a separate audio cable from the heaphones connection?

Thanks in advance

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I have the 2011 MBA, and I am wondering if its possible to get the audio though the thunderport, or do I need a separate audio cable from the heaphones connection?

Thanks in advance
I would think Mini Display port to HDMI should allow you to do that, but I am not 100% certain. Otherwise a cheap RCA cable will work out of the headphone port

Comment

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
I would think Mini Display port to HDMI should allow you to do that, but I am not 100% certain. Otherwise a cheap RCA cable will work out of the headphone port
A mini display to HDMI adaptor does indeed work for both picture and sound(some of them). I use this one with my 2011 MBA:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H7129ZM/A/mini-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng

Despite what the one review says, it works perfectly so I suspect that is a user problem.

Comment

sarah11918

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Canada
A mini display to HDMI adaptor does indeed work for both picture and sound(some of them).
Yup, we do this all the time. It confused me at first that I couldn't use my volume buttons, then I realized I had to use the tv remote to change the volume when it was connected via HDMI.

Comment

audunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2012
So how do you get the sound to the tv? Its only on the computer, no matter if its an extension or mirrored picture.... I cant find any place where I can change that....

Comment

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
So how do you get the sound to the tv? Its only on the computer, no matter if its an extension or mirrored picture.... I cant find any place where I can change that....
I told you -
you need to select the "hdmi" sound output in sound preferences when you use it the first time.
See:

The above HDMI option only shows up when an HDMI cable is connected to a tv and it is recognized.

Comment

audunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2012
hmm, is it a way to get it up later? It wont show up when I connect my mac to a tv. However I found an option to choose the HDMI output with VLC, but when I watch videos on youtube, I have to use the speakers in the mac.

Edit: I found it now, under sound in system preferences! Wohoo!! :D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.