Getting sound on my TV from the MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by audunk, May 31, 2012.

1. audunk macrumors newbie

I have the 2011 MBA, and I am wondering if its possible to get the audio though the thunderport, or do I need a separate audio cable from the heaphones connection?

Thanks in advance

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I would think Mini Display port to HDMI should allow you to do that, but I am not 100% certain. Otherwise a cheap RCA cable will work out of the headphone port

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

A mini display to HDMI adaptor does indeed work for both picture and sound(some of them). I use this one with my 2011 MBA:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H7129ZM/A/mini-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng

Despite what the one review says, it works perfectly so I suspect that is a user problem.

4. sarah11918 macrumors member

Yup, we do this all the time. It confused me at first that I couldn't use my volume buttons, then I realized I had to use the tv remote to change the volume when it was connected via HDMI.

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

6. audunk thread starter macrumors newbie

So how do you get the sound to the tv? Its only on the computer, no matter if its an extension or mirrored picture.... I cant find any place where I can change that....

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I told you -
    See:
    [​IMG]
    The above HDMI option only shows up when an HDMI cable is connected to a tv and it is recognized.

8. audunk thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, is it a way to get it up later? It wont show up when I connect my mac to a tv. However I found an option to choose the HDMI output with VLC, but when I watch videos on youtube, I have to use the speakers in the mac.

Edit: I found it now, under sound in system preferences! Wohoo!! :D