Getting Sound to TV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Manfred, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Manfred macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook 1.1 and am trying to connect it to a Samsung TV to watch movies. I have the appropriate HDMI connections to get the TV screen to work, but I cannot get the sound to run through the TV. I plugged the single prong end of the sound cable into the headphone jack of my Macbook and the two left and right plugs into one set of sound ports on the tv. I went to the sound section of the system preferences and the only output listed was the headphones. Anyway, I could not get any sound to play. When I unplugged the single pronged end of the sound cord from the headphones port in my macbook, the sound worked through the computer. I have had this problem on 2 tvs. My headphone jack works with headphones on my computer. The court works to connect an ipod to my stereo, so I am confident that all of the hardware works.

I will appreciate any ideas that any of you can come up with.

Thanks.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are cables that connect the MBP's display port plus USB (for sound) to HDMI. You should be able to search for the right cable, it's been mentioned often enough on the forum.

Sometimes the TVs won't accept sound input from the audio jack when using a specific input port. In other words, when using HDMI, it may be that the only way you can get sound is for it to come in via HDMI. However, if you use component in, then the audio in jacks often work. It's something you have to work with with each TV.

3. Manfred thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I have a MacBook, not a MacBook Pro if that makes any difference. I hooked into the input jacks, but had no luck there either.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

sounds like if you are using HDMI input then the only way to get the sound is also through the HDMI for that type of TV.