Getting SSD for my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stigzy, Apr 8, 2013.

1. stigzy macrumors member

Hi!

Can anyone confirm that Samsung SSD 840 PROSeries 256GB 2.5" OEM will NOT give me fan problems when i replace my main harddrive? I have replaced my 1TB WD hard drive with an A-DATA 250GB SSD, and now i got fan on max speed all time. So, I've read somewhere that the SSD need S.M.A.R.T function for the iMac to read the temperature and not get fan on max speed all time. This Samsung SSD got this so called SMART function, so I hope this will do.

If this is so, I am gonna replace my currently SSD with the one above i mentioned. Hope you can help me with some of ur knowledge :)

- Stigzy

2. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

3. stigzy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for respond. I am currently using that app on my iMac, but I dont want to have an app to depend on fan speed. And I am beside going to use Windows, and this app doesnt support windows :(

So hope someone know if this SSD will do the work.

4. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

HD Fan control works by using S.M.A.R.T. if the drive has it, but that is still a third party software.

If you don't want to rely on a software solution then you need to short the temperature sensing cable or get an adapter that does it for you from OWC or others. applecomponents used to have a simple cable, but I see their site is down right now.

5. stigzy thread starter macrumors member

Well, shorting the cable aint a thing i can do. Got iMac mid 2011 27", so there aint a sensor cable to short. There is only the SATA cable to the hard drive. Thats why I've heard that just some SSD can function properly with the fan. I tired calling Apple in Norway, but the kinda didnt know them self wich SSD Apple used or wich SSD i could use.

I could get a cable from OWC, but was hoping to get a full functionally SSD without any other cable or software :)

So spit out if you guys know something :)

6. zuri macrumors member

You need iMac 2011 ssd upgrade kit when you want your fans to act normal.
    This also means you can have your original HDD and SSD at once.
    And maybe create a fusion drive of them :)