Getting SSD, what to do with original HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BMNB1tch, Feb 7, 2012.

1. BMNB1tch macrumors regular

So, I most likely going to buy the crucial M4 SSD, but unsure what to do with the original HDD.

Can I buy a casing for it and use it like an external drive? or what did you guys do with yours?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

People either dual mount the HDD internally (you do loose the DVD drive) or put the disk into an external enclosure and use it as such.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, an enclosure will give you an external drive for backups and/or other storage.

Check out enclosures from Other World Computing (OWC)

4. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Just don't get rid of it.

When you send your Macbook Pro in to Apple for repairs, it's always a good thing to do it with factory parts installed.

If they deem your aftermarket memory or disk drive not Apple compatible then they will replace it for you and charge you for it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They wouldn't do that without notifying you first, giving you the opportunity to refuse the replacement. It's also highly unlikely that they would find a drive or memory that has been working to suddenly be incompatible.

6. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Yes, they'll notify you. I wasn't implying that they're out to cheat you or anything. I'm just saying you should hold on to it just in case.

Who knows what they consider compatible?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As all RAM and hard drives are non-Apple devices to begin with (since Apple doesn't make either), and both can be replaced without voiding the warranty or AppleCare, there is no need to keep the replaced parts, unless you have another use for them.

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I agree. However when I took my old MacBook in to a Genius Bar they did tell me I should keep the original RAM when I talked to them about upgrading to 4GB.

It didn't seem to bother them though when I took my MacBook in for a different problem after upgrading the RAM.

9. jamojamo macrumors 6502

I've bought a couple of enclosures at OWC and they've been great. If you don't need the FireWire then get the USB one. They are very cheap and super easy to set up (trust me, I am no technical wizard and even I thought it was easy)

If you can use a screwdriver, you can do it yourself :)