Getting Started On My New Macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MJGB, Dec 26, 2009.

1. MJGB macrumors newbie

Okay, so since deciding I wanted to explore the Mac market, and choosing the entry point Macbook as my starter option, I have since got my Macbook (the new white model, 250GB HD and 2GB Ram). So, I have some questions and also would like any help on new software, guides etc to help me get started.

So, here starts the questions.

1) With Bootcamp, I want to install my copy of Windows XP. However, my printer is broken and I don't have any available blank CD's. Is there any way to have the guide on a second computer and more importantly, able to download the Mac Drivers from the web to put on a Flash drive.

2) What amount of the partition should I give Windows, as I want to use it for gaming (I have PC only games as well as using Games For Windows Live). Would 30GB be more than enough or should I give less / more.

3) How do I print screen :eek: Seriously, I'm confused!

4) How do I uninstall applications. I've got a trial for AppZapper but was wondering if their was a free alternative.

Thanks guys, much appreciated from a Macbook and OSX newbie!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What guide are you talking about?
    If it is an online guide or pdf document you can just open/transfer it on/to the other computer.

If you have many games to install 30GB might be a little bit on the small side.
    For instance, you have 11 games, each weighing around 3GB (give or take), then you need 33GB for the games at least, and another 2GB for Windows Xp and some other free space for the swap file.
    Best calculation I came up so far is to take the amount needed and adding approx. 20% as free space to it. Eg: 44GB needed, 20% of 44GB is 8.8GB, so you should make it an even 55GB.

CMD+SHIFT+3 or CMD+SHIFT+4 for selecting the area you want to print yourself.

AppZapper is not really needed with most applications. Just drag the application you want to uninstall onto the Trash icon in the Dock.
    Some applications leave Application Support data behind, and with some of them it might get into the Gigabytes, Garage Band for example has a lot of audio samples.

Also MRoogle is a good way to find more precise answers to your questions, as those come up every now and then.

Here are also some links worthy to look at:
    http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ , http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ and http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

3. MJGB thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou ever so much, especially with the hasty reply!

4. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

And Windows drivers are included on your Leopard/Snow Leopard install dvd.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Iuse AppDelete for unistalling applications, as it's free. :D

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Since the OP is new to Mac the Help menu in the Menu Bar up top explains how to use many features of Mac OS X. You may not get every answer your looking for but you can find that it's quite helpful, rather than waiting for a forum response. Here's an example, you were asking about taking screenshots? I just typed "Print Screen" in the Help menu and got this result.

Attached Files:

7. MJGB thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help everyone, I've found it all useful :)

8. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Same shoes as the OP, and I found it all useful too, thank you!

EDJ