Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackz5o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Hi,

I use a PC with Vista but I would like to program for the iPhone.. What is the cheapest way for me to start programming Apps for iPhone? I was thinking about the $600 Mac Mini, that should be enough for working with the iPhone SDK right?

I also heard an emulated OS X on a PC won't work with iPhone SDK? Is that true?

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Buy a Mac Mini. Easiest way to get started. Two of my friends did the same thing and they were up and making apps within days.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Hi,

I use a PC with Vista but I would like to program for the iPhone.. What is the cheapest way for me to start programming Apps for iPhone? I was thinking about the $600 Mac Mini, that should be enough for working with the iPhone SDK right?

You could get a used Mac Mini, but make sure what ever you get it has an Intel processor.

I also heard an emulated OS X on a PC won't work with iPhone SDK? Is that true?

No. I will work...

jackz5o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
You could get a used Mac Mini, but make sure what ever you get it has an Intel processor.

No. I will work...

Really? It will work? I got an old 939 Socket AMD Athlon X2 system, would that work with the latest OS X or will I need an Intel CPU for my PC too? Either way I have a Core 2 Quad in my current PC system. If the AMD won't work I can always set up dual boot on my current Intel..

Am I even allowed to discuss this on this forum? lol

(edit)

Also I have another question.

I have a free registered developer account on the iPhone Apple Developer section, when I heard about how it takes weeks to get your developer license approved, I tried to go and pay my $99 but it won't let me?

It just says they are waiting for my account to be approved.. but I never paid my $99, anybody know whats going on?

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
It just says they are waiting for my account to be approved.. but I never paid my $99, anybody know whats going on?

Your account must be approved BEFORE you can pay your $99. Did you apply as a business or as an individual?

jackz5o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Your account must be approved BEFORE you can pay your $99. Did you apply as a business or as an individual?

An individual.

What the hell are they approving?... I never gave them any info as far as I can remember, I have had this account for over 2-3 month.....

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
An individual.

What the hell are they approving?... I never gave them any info as far as I can remember, I have had this account for over 2-3 month.....

They verify your identity. You need to apply.

jackz5o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
They verify your identity. You need to apply.

I can't apply because whenever I click the apply button it says I already applied and I will hear from them shortly about my account's approval. Then it gives me some confirmation number.. :confused:

robertpgg

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
I was thinking about getting a Mini, but I've been wanting a laptop so I just went and got a MacBook.
I've really liked the machine so far, but developing on a laptop takes a little getting used to. At some point I'll end up hooking up as a desktop, but at least now I have a bit of mobility ;) Keeps the gf happy that I can chill with her while I work

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
I can't apply because whenever I click the apply button it says I already applied and I will hear from them shortly about my account's approval. Then it gives me some confirmation number.. :confused:

That sucks! You'll just have to wait until Apple decides to approve you to become an iPhone Developer.

If you can't wait, there are other companies that will publish your apps on the App Store for you

jam919

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Aside from an intel based mac, what is required to get started? Is it just the developer's kit - any other software?

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Aside from an intel based mac, what is required to get started? Is it just the developer's kit - any other software?

Just the iPhone SDK which includes XCode 3.1.
That is all the software that you need.

jackz5o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Just the iPhone SDK which includes XCode 3.1.
That is all the software that you need.

What OS X version do you need? Will 10.5.2 be fine?

And yeah.. I'm still learning to code at the moment, hopefully when I have the app somewhat completely Apple will do something about my account..

I have sent 3 emails to them within the past 1.5 month and I have not gotten a single reply back.. Anybody have a number I can call?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.