Getting started with Linux....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Danraad, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Danraad macrumors member

Danraad

Hello,

I am really interesting in getting into Linux....
    I just wanted to know what Linux software you guys would recommend for someone getting into programming. And if possible give a small walk through of it. And nothing permanent...

Thanks in Advance,
    Danraad

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Ubuntu is nice. While instaling it you can install the programming tools packages and it should pretty much have most of the needed software to get started... Same with most other linux distributions.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I use VirtualBox for running Ubuntu Linux. It works great, and the best part is that all the components needed to make it work are free!

5. Danraad thread starter macrumors member

Danraad

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

I've been a Linux user from almost the beginning, back i nthe days of the Intel 386 and when slackware Linux fit onto 6 floppy disks. I still use it at work. That and Solaris.

But you know what? mac OS X does everything the Linux can. The two are very close. Not much will run under LInux that will not also run under Mac OS X. So Why bother with Linux, write whatever it is you want using Mac OS X.

How to get started.... Open an xterm, vi and gcc. What else is there? OK may gdb if you need it. But all that stuff run s on the mac in exactly the same way