Getting started with OS X when having nothing but a Windows background

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PraisiX-windows, May 19, 2011.

1. PraisiX-windows macrumors regular

Hey there, I'm going to make the switch to OS X when the MBA 2011 is released.

However, I have no experience with OS X at all. - I have grown up with Windows and have used nothing but that except some version of Linux when my computer broke down a couple of years ago.

So, what should I look for? What file formats are there, what do they do?
    What is the equivalent of an .exe file in OS X and is there any compatibility issues or something else I should be aware of?

What sort of applications would you suggest I'd use when using it for school only, perhaps a bit (or a lot) of programming once I get to that chapter of my education/life? - I'm thinking of software that could improve my productivity?

Also in-built functions, probably mostly these, that exist in OS X.

Any help that could help my transition would be greatly appreciated ! :D

-I heard something about spaces and stuff, don't really know what it is, but that's the thing I'm talking about !

2. PraisiX-windows thread starter macrumors regular

3. PraisiX-windows thread starter macrumors regular

However, with me not being fully satisfied with that mroogle-thingy I'd like to hear from others.

- What do you guys do to bump up your productivity?
    - You got any hints for what I could research up on? (Like spaces and whatnot)
    - Got any 3rd party software advice, that you find is really useful?

4. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Learn some command-line unix. It's very different from the regular DOS commands.

5. simsaladimbamba

Have you checked that link GGJstudios provided?
    It should answer the second and third questions quite easily.
    The first is more subjective, as everyone has a different approach to productivity, as I for example use 12 Spaces to house my applications (mostly DCC orientated), while others hate Spaces.