Getting Started with Training Videos

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BrianMNJ, Jun 7, 2014.

1. BrianMNJ macrumors newbie

Hi everybody, I have the latest gen MacBook Pro running Mavericks and could use some advice...I am trying to create some training videos on different subjects. The videos I want to create are interactive in that I want to be able to toggle between keynote presentations, footage of me talking and footage of software in action or websites. I need advice on any software platforms that will help me EASILY create videos using all these elements interactively from start to finish. Any platforms out there that permit me to do this without creating each element and then having to edit them together which looks a bit jumbled? I am grateful for any advice anyone can give.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Of course you have to collect the parts one at a time then edit them together. But it's not hard. I used FCP X for this not long ago. First I made a Keynote presentation then exported the slides are still images (jpg, tiff or whatever) then I collected my screen shots and saved those. Finally I recorded about four takes of myself speaking in front for a set made with some props and a big canvas background.

After all the above was collected. I dropped the parts into Final Cut Pro X time line. I mostly kept the speaking part's audio but would cut the video away to screen shots and the keynote stills. Then you look at it can maybe decide to add some voice over and maybe some titles.

I like the way FCPX works. You can have as many video, stills and audio timelines as you like then you cut between them or use keyframe automation for other transitions. If FCP you treat stills just like video, you drag and drop them then adjust their duration to fit how long you are talking.

Some times I listen and then want to cut out a sentence or two. FCP has pretty good tool sfor audio editing. I'd make the audio cut while I an not on-camera, while a slide is up and no one hears the cut. There is much flexibility but also you should expect a learning curve too.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I use ScreenFlow for doing this kind of work. Allows you to capture your screen, which will allow you to switch between keynote presentations, footage of you talking, footage of software in action or websites. Allows for audio capture as well. ScrenFlow also has editing tools.

I do this when I am designing certain things in Photoshop, Illustrator or other apps and want to record the steps I use to do it. This allows me to go back and look every step over, then see if I can do it an easier or quicker way. Plus it give me reference videos to fall back on when I require.

But you can use it to do training videos, instead of how I use it. You can try ScreenFlow for free as they offer a trial version. Just another option that may work for you.

4. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Are you actually sending a video to someone or do you just want to offer these different kinds of content.

You could consider iBooks Author. It lets you create an ebook that can only be viewed in iBooks on an Apple device. However, it lets you combine every kind of content: videos, slide shows, presentations, graphics and tables.