Getting started with web development, blogging

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by eagerapple, Sep 20, 2009.

1. eagerapple macrumors newbie

I'm trying to create a network of blogs linked to the same domain name for multiple authors. But I know very little about HTML, CSS, etc. I used to write on a blog that used wordpress.org but I find it so confusing. I'd like to buy a domain name and use wordpress.com but I'm concerned about the limited customization. I want to be able to design the pages to the best of my ability.

What are your thoughts on free blog hosts (wordpress, blogger, etc.) vs. buying web space and using wordpress.org?

2. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

well, i use blogger as my own journal, but from what i recall, you can make a blog, and import feeds to that blog if you wanted to.

you can also just give any amount of people admin capability or whatever and they can just post directly.

3. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

you can install and customize wordpress software on any server with php. my recommendation would be to not use wordpress' own hosting service because it doesnt offer that much customization in non wordpress aspects of your site and is overpriced.

check out cheap webhosts like 1and1.com and get a cheap package, which comes with a free domain, and install wordpress yourself. I dont use 1and1 but I do the same thing elsewhere.

my blog: www.thewarscoming.com

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you don't know HTML or CSS, then you are missing some fairly basic knowledge you'd need to "customize" anything. Without knowing these you might as well just use blogger or wordpress.org.