Getting text plan only

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Delpheno, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Delpheno macrumors member

Hey guys, I unlocked and jailbroke my iPhone. My service provider is AT&T, I was wondering if I can call AT&T and get a text plan only instead of the whole $20 a month for unlimited data.

Has anyone done this?
    Any warnings or cautions I should keep in mind?
    Am I even allowed to do this?

Thank you.

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

You might be able to get a "Go Phone" plan and just use texting to eat up the minutes. The thing is, I'm not sure if Go Phones have the same kind of SIM cards.

And how in the world did you get $20 a month for a data plan? I have a plan with AT&T for calling and texting only and it costs $50 a month! Can you get a better deal than that?

3. Delpheno thread starter macrumors member

Whoa, sorry for the confusion. I'm just saying that the data plan alone for the iPhone 2g is $20. That is not including voice plan.

I'm not sure about the Go Phone plan. Has anyone tried this?
    It would be nice for someone to share their experience, because I don't want to get screwed over.

4. pensoftware macrumors member

If your phone is a regular iPhone, then you can get a GoPhone SIM and pop it in (after unlocking, which you already did) and then dial the extra number (I don't remember what it is, but you can find it on the AT&T website) and purchase the Unlimited Texting plan for $20.00 (which will be deducted from your GoPhone balance).

If your phone is a an iPhone 3G, then you have direct capabilities for the GoPhone. So all you need to do is get a GoPhone SIM and pop that in and dial the extra number and add the Unlimited Texting plan which, just like above, will be deducted from your GoPhone balance.

You can purchase a GoPhone SIM by buying a GoPhone Phone & SIM bundle and throwing out the phone, or donating it to a local charity.

Have fun!~ ;)

5. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Ok, I didn't know you could do that. I thought you had to buy the full plan for $69 a month.

Does the iPhone have them same kind of SIM card? I heard that you must buy some kind of piece to put in the SIM card slot on an iPhone that would hold your SIM card if you are jailbroken.

6. Delpheno thread starter macrumors member

Is it $20/month? If so, then I might as well get the official data plan. If not, then how long does it last for?

7. northy014 macrumors regular

Similarly, I was wondering in the UK whether it was possible to negotiate with O2 and get a better deal - I don't need all the minutes, but I do need more than the 500 texts that they throw in.