Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
My wife's texts are showing up on my iPhone. This has been for a while. Some folks here told me to not use the same AppleID on both phones, so I changed mine on my phone, but it still happens. I am thinking that when I created a new Apple ID it simply replaced the one I was using on Apple devices, including the one for my wife's iPhone. It seems I cannot create a new Apple ID without it replacing my old one, and, of course, my wife is not amused that my phone has her text messages in it.

What do I do to keep these phones separate? I created new Apple IDs (I'm running out of email addresses) but it won't let me change to them on my phone. I can't change the phone number (hers) that MY phone is linked to for messages. This is really getting on my nerves.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
When you created the new Apple ID did you only change it on your phone or did you wipe your phone / do a factory reset on your phone and set it up as a new device? If you didn't set it up as a new device, try that. If you did... I'm not sure what to try next.

Reactions: Beachguy

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
We had our macbook pro repaired and now my wife's login is getting all of my notices for calls, messages, etc. Need to take a look and see why or may wipe the computer and set it up as new.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My wife's texts are showing up on my iPhone. This has been for a while. Some folks here told me to not use the same AppleID on both phones, so I changed mine on my phone, but it still happens. I am thinking that when I created a new Apple ID it simply replaced the one I was using on Apple devices, including the one for my wife's iPhone. It seems I cannot create a new Apple ID without it replacing my old one, and, of course, my wife is not amused that my phone has her text messages in it.

What do I do to keep these phones separate? I created new Apple IDs (I'm running out of email addresses) but it won't let me change to them on my phone. I can't change the phone number (hers) that MY phone is linked to for messages. This is really getting on my nerves.

Go into Settings|Messages and look at Text msg forwarding and "Send & Receive" to make sure your wife is still not in there.

Do this BEFORE you reset your phone. I am thinking this will work and you will not have to reset..

Last edited:
Reactions: ckurt25

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I tried Newtons Apple's suggestion. We'll see how it works. Her number didn't show up, but the Apple ID was not the new one I created and so I changed that to the new one.

If I do a reset, will that mean I cannot do a backup and restore?
[doublepost=1534869941][/doublepost]Oh- and ckurt25, I did not do a rest.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I tried Newtons Apple's suggestion. We'll see how it works. Her number didn't show up, but the Apple ID was not the new one I created and so I changed that to the new one.

If you end up doing a reset, you need to make a encrypted backup via iTunes or have a good backup in the cloud. I would never reset unless I had both.

I am thinking you changing the AppleID to the new one is all you will need to do.

You should be good to go when you change the Apple ID to your new one.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
If you have to resort to setting it up as a new you probably won't want to restore it. That process could add back whatever setting was screwed up to begin with.

You could test it first, if you do restore. First don't restore and see if you're getting her messages. Then restore and see if you're getting her messages after. You'll have your answer after that.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I turned off iMessage. It still lets me text but I show up as a green "regular" text and not the blue "iMessage" type. I have texting anyway, so it doesn't matter much.

One thing I notice in the settings/messages is that it lists her number as the one to use for iMessage and Facetime, and I cannot change that. Not sure what to make of that.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
Messages - Send and Receive - Tap the account email - SIGN OUT
FaceTime - Tap the account email - SIGN OUT
Settings - Name at the top - SIGN OUT (at the bottom) follow any prompts.

Restart the phone.

Settings - Name at the top (no name now) - SIGN IN with your NEW account (iCloud?)
Messages - Verify you're signed in, if not, sign in! Verify you're receiving at your new account and YOUR phone number. Start new messages from.. your phone number (check it).
FaceTime - Verify you're signed in, if not, sign in!

Should be fine after this. If not, You will need to wipe your phone and start fresh. You cannot restore from backup as this will re-introduce the mess you have now and will associate your wife's account/number with your phone, yet again.

Reactions: Beachguy

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
Good news- a combination of suggestions above worked! Since I tried them all en masse, I don't know which was the final solution, but all is good now. THANKS!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.