Getting the Best Connection that I Can Get [XBOX 360]

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by RMD68, Nov 13, 2011.

1. RMD68 macrumors 6502

My question is in regard to playing games such as MW3 that are heavily dependent on how much lag you experience. I want to know what I can do to get the least lag possible besides switching to FiOS, which is not an option because it isn't in my area.

I will explain my gaming setup, so that we can troubleshoot any issues.

Gaming Area [Living Room]

-Panasonic ST60 (Custom Settings) connected to an Onkyo 605 receiver via HDMI.

-XBOX 360 Elite (250GB) [Older Model/Non-Slim] with the older wireless adapter and a standard wireless controller.

-Optimum Online Boost Plus carried over an Airport Extreme to the XBOX 360.

I understand that there will always be a degree of lag issues within popular games such as MW3, but the amount of lag is incredibly important in these types of games. For example, I am not trying to whine about not being the best player, which I am not, but I have noticed that when I am playing some times I get downed almost too quickly. In other words, in a fair fight, I will shoot and drop quickly when it appears in real time that my opponent took me down real quick; however, when I watch the kill-cam, it shows that he shot for a long time and he shot me in low damage areas (i.e. not the upper body/head). I am in now way saying that there aren't very good players who can knock me out with a sick head shot, but many times that isn't what happens.

How can I go about optimizing my set-up, so that I can experience as little lag as possible?

-Can I change the TV settings?

-Will getting a new receiver with a "game mode" help?

-Does playing with a wired controller or a custom [legal] controller work better than the standard MS wireless controller?

-Most importantly, how can I optimize my internet connection through my airport extreme?

Thank you very much in advance for any help that I receive.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Honestly it's all server and internet connection, and generally it's just stuff you have to deal with. Often times, even with a good connection, servers just get overloaded and lag for new, popular games. Plus there are always bugs with a new game. A new TV/reciever really wouldn't do anything about lag either.

3. iceblade macrumors member

First, let me openly admit that I don't own anything more advanced than a Wii (and my MBP, which I do some light gaming on), and I'm not a networking genius or anything. The one thing I do have, is some experience.

Obviously, wired will be fastest, but not an option so thats cool. You asked about the gaming router, and I think it would help. We used to have a router that gave priority to gaming traffic. I puttered around in some Counter Strike and Day of Defeat. My ping was pretty good using the 'gaming router.' That router died for some reason, and we got a new one without gaming priority. My ping took a massive hit, and made some things I used to play barely playable, if at all.

All that is to say... It might help, but as alust2013 pointed out... Its connection issues with all connected parties, as well.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The best thing to do would be to replace your AEBS with a router that has some form of Quality of Service (usually "QoS") control. The AEBS doesn't, so you can't prioritize your gaming traffic.