Getting the best deal on a MacBook Pro 15?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by InfoTime, Jun 5, 2009.

1. InfoTime macrumors 6502

What do you suggest?

There's not too many ways to get a great price on one.

I'd probably buy a refurbished one from Apple. The model that retails for $1,999 will meet my needs. It's on the refurb store every day at $1,699. (Sometimes they have the previous non-unibody models for $1,349 but I think I've settled on a unibody).

My wife is a school teacher and I could probably buy a system through the current back-to-school deals. However, by the time I pay the $1,899 plus the $229 for the iPod touch and tax on top of that, then sell the iPod touch and collect the rebate the system would cost $26 more (net $1,827 education deal vs net $1,801 for the refurb).

I asked Apple once in the past if there are any education discounts on refurbished products - no. They're discounted enough already I was told.

I bought my iMac on eBay last year and took advantage of the Live cashback program. Ended up with a four month old machine that was barely used for $800. Don't think I'm comfortable buying a machine that's almost twice the $ on eBay though. The cashback program is not what it was (I don't think).

The only other thought I have is Craig's List. If I could buy one face to face and actually get to test it out before hand maybe I could get a deal. My only concern would be that I don't want to buy a stolen system. I know I can easily check the warranty status if I have the serial number. Not sure there is an easy check to make sure I'm not receiving stolen goods.

What do you think?

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd recommend refurbished from Apple. That way you know it is legit, (personally, I would be wary of buying a computer from something like eBay, or Craigslist) and that the individual machine has already been tested and tried and yet is as good as new. Moreover, you know that it comes with all of Apple's warranties, and the price is usually extremely competitive.

Cheers and good luck

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would also recommend a refurb from Apple. Seems to be the only way to get a significant discount.

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I'm using my mum's university student card to get the higher education discount, it's 15% off the MBP, apple care for £57 from about £270, free iPod touch and the printer rebate offer. All in all that's about £550+ worth of deals on a £1369 laptop. Not too shabby.
    I was told that higher education is 15%, other student discount is only 10% and the applecare offer is only for higher ed though.

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

My friend just got a stock 2.66 mbp NIB for $2099 on eBay BIN with free shipping.
    How he did it: customize search to show recently listed items first, continuously hit "refresh" and wait for a low BIN price to pop up ;)

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Go refurb, get the free printer, and net an extra $60-ish selling it.