iPhone X Getting the best deal on a new or used X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noSpeed, Jul 25, 2019.

1. noSpeed macrumors member

Question for those in the know here. Since this year's iphone will likely be underwhelming (mostly because of the lightening port), I've decided to get an X or XS (not Xr) series phone once ios13 is released. Presumably this will happen when the iphone 11 is released in September.

What's the most bang for my buck? Should I get a refurbished one from apple.com, or is it usually possible to find a retailer selling a new one for $600-700 once the iphone 11 is out? Would I be better off getting a used one and asking apple to put in a new battery at a store? What's the best place to find a used phone?

Any other options I'm not thinking of?

Thanks

2. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68020

KarimLeVallois

You can pick up a sealed Xs 256GB on eBay for £800-£850 at the mo. I wasn't tempted by the rumours, so opted for a sealed Xs.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I’d advise using Apple for refurbished if you decide that route, being that they do thoroughly test their refurbished devices, new display/casing/battery, and includes a one-year warranty. In my opinion, that’s the ‘best place’ to find a used phone, because you can trust their credibility versus some sketch third-party site/retailer, where you don’t know anything about the device history/parts used.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

5. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68020

KarimLeVallois

Indeed, if it's too good to be true, it usually is!

However, decent discounts can be had (I saved over £300) if you do your due-diligence.

6. noSpeed thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I'm a bit nervous about buying from individual sellers, particularly on Ebay, as you never know what you're getting. The Apple store route is known, but their markdown is only $150 for a phone that's almost 2 years old right now. I didn't think it was worth that mich in 2017, and I still hold that opinion.

If I can get an X or Xs for $500-600, I think that would be fair. Do sites like best buy or amazon usually have any good deals?

7. jo.Lo macrumors newbie

I bought my last 4 iPhones on ebay, 2 new&sealed, 2 used. I bought the last one a week ago (few month old X) for only 525€. You just need some patience and look for offers from sellers that didn't create their account recently and offer PayPal.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If you shop Amazon, keep in mind, those are also third-party sites that are utilizing Amazons site to sell the phone, which means they’re not using genuine Apple parts when those phones are refurbished. So it’s really no different than purchasing a used phone off eBay. If your truly trying to find the lowest price possible, then these are issues that you’re going to run into by looking at third-party retailers, even though Apple does charge a higher premium, it’s a ‘safer bet’.

9. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

ebay is pretty decent if you pay with PayPal (do NOT buy when the seller doesn't offer PayPal – I've already lost a ton of money just by making this mistake once). I ordered a mint iPhone X 256 GB on ebay for €660 shipped just a few days ago, but if you're not that particular about the condition of the phone and if 64 GB are fine for you, €500 - €600 for a used X are certainly easy to be found.

10. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Just wait until after Apple announces the new models, and the X/Xs will see a price drop from Apple, along with other retailers. But if you order from Apple, the new prices for the devices should be effective after the Keynote.

11. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

I purchased an iPhone 8+ on Amazon, but it was a reputable dealer that has been on that platform for a long time and had very good reputation and ratings. All the usual signs of a good seller like requiring signature when the package arrives etc. When I got the phone I was amazed that it had zero scratches or dents. Battery Health was 98%. Thus far it has worked flawlessly and we've tried multiple sims on it and it's unlocked.

I also recently sold a phone on ItsWorthMore.com and that worked out very well. Then I purchased an iPhone XS Max from them for $799. It was also in mint condition, no scratches or dents and the battery health is still at 100%. It even gave me the option to put AppleCare+ on it. Apparently the phone had only been used for a few weeks then sold to ItsWorthMore. It too is fully unlocked and works perfectly.

I have also purchased refurbs on Apple's web site. It likely is the best bet if you are willing to pay their slightly reduced prices. I was not this go around and in both cases above it saved me a lot of money over buying brand new or from Apple directly. Just make sure it's a reputable seller and they take PayPal and/or an Amazon Renewed Seller because Amazon will honor the 90 day refund policy even if the seller doesn't want too.

12. noSpeed thread starter macrumors member

13. steelhauler34 macrumors newbie

Check out bdf_cellular on ebay. I dont think they are the lowest price possible like you are looking for but I have had really good luck with them as a seller. A lot of iPhones. Legit new in box and super fast shipping.

14. noSpeed thread starter macrumors member

15. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68020

KarimLeVallois

Bay is safe as ling as you use common sense. Only buy from people with good reviews, ask for the serial/IMEI numbers to check and only pay with PayPal.

16. pachuco4life macrumors newbie

Try wal-mart for a X. If they have any in stock they have them for $300 off retail. No contract, I put $500 down as a down payment. I have a monthly device charge of $6.xx to pay off the phone for 2 years or I could just pay it off on the website in total and have a brand new unlocked phone.

17. noSpeed thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. The X is looking like the one I'll get. The Xs wasn't really a big update. I guess their next big sale will be around Thanksgiving?

18. Aliciakeystx macrumors member

should need a clean Imeil