Getting the best from iPhone 4 Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by egraphixstudios, Jun 20, 2010.

1. egraphixstudios macrumors 6502

egraphixstudios

From past experience, the iphones normally come charged around 60%.

What is the best practice to train the battery for optimum charge?

Is it normally: drain stock charge, then charge to 100%, discharge and charge again ? I heard its best to do this process around 5 times to give the battery a really good memory...

What are your thoughts on this? Any good tips would be nice...

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Litton Ion's don't need or respond to "training". Charge it often and keep as full as possible for longest life. Just make sure to run it dead about every other month to reset the monitoring circuits.

3. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I never paid much attention concerning the initial charge but I do run it down the first time and charge it all the way up.

After 4-5 times of this it seems to stabilize.

That's been my experience with any lithium-ion item actually.

4. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I agree with this. What I do in this case is to plug in, then turn the phone off.

One time I turned it off first, then plugged in. Of course it turned on but I just left it that way.

Had a short 2 hr usage/8hr standby life the next day. Not using that 'method' again. :D

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The best thing you can do is just use the phone. Nothing you do at the first will make much difference, if any, so just use and enjoy. keep in mind that when it is new you will not be able to keep your hands off of it but after a few weeks it will be fine.

Try to relax:)

6. egraphixstudios thread starter macrumors 6502

egraphixstudios

My friend popped into a Apple shop as his iphone3gs wasnt keeping long charge- they plugged it into some software system and they could see the history of when the unit was charged from day1.

Apple pointed out that since day 1 it was continuously charged-it was never drained therefore the battery memory for 0% and 100% was only like 10% of actual charge i.e. battery wasnt trained properly.

This makes me think that its best to drain, then fully charge to get the battery trained upto 5 times.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Here, knock yourself out.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

From that:

9. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

Pwned.

10. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

To summarize:

The battery prefer partial discharge than full, and you'll gain longer battery life by avoid full discharge; however, is recommend a full discharge once a month.

The battery loses capacity due to ageing whether you use it or not.

11. monksealpup macrumors regular

For lithium ion batteries, always charge to full initially. You can do a full drain after this to calibrate the circuitry for the 100% and 0% point, but most batteries do not need this full drain post-2004 or so.

Once every 1-2 months, full drain followed by full charge. My batteries last FOREVER this way. Otherwise, charge whenever it's convenient (i.e. avoid full discharge if you can). I always charge every night next to my bed and my phones have always lasted all day, sometimes two if I am traveling.