Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdtoronto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I just got new Apple TV 4K (3rd gen)

I have it hooked to my Sony Bravia XBR-75X900F which in turn feeds audio back to my somewhat old A/V receiver.

I am trying to set up so that I get the best Audio Video experience possible with the new (latest) Apple TV. Can someone help in terms of first steps (kind of cable) etc and then setting on Apple TV and Sony TV that runs Android by the way.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If the receiver has another HDMI input, hook the AppleTV right into the receiver. That way you can use the non-video benefits of it (like listening to music) without having the TV on. That's Apple TV to Receiver to TV instead of Apple TV to TV to Receiver. Ideally, a Receiver is the central hub/brain of a system, so the goal is usually to connect everything to it vs. making it a last link in any chain. The original AppleTV was called an iPod for your television. Take advantage of the iPod side of it (which doesn't even require a television): airplay target or stream music to it from your Mac, via apps like Apple Music, Pandora, etc.

Use overkill HDMI cables for the connections- like 8K 2.1 HDMI. They don't cost much more but will basically futureproof the cabling parts for the next decade or more.

In AppleTV, video settings, you can turn on match frame rate and match dynamic range so that stuff shot in various formats pass through to the TV... though THIS could prove to be a weak link if the receiver is too old to pass them through.

If you prefer the TVs or the Receivers remote as a master remote, you can train AppleTV to work with either. Usually this is done by clicking a button to put the remote in a different mode like cable (box), AUX, or similar. And then you "learn" it in the Apple TV remotes menu. After that, you can basically put the AppleTV remote away (though this option will not make the other remotes into Siri remotes if you want voice controls).

If the receiver is new enough to work with CEC, you can turn that on in AppleTV, Receiver and TV so that turning on AppleTV automatically turns on receiver and television... and turns all off when you are done watching.

What else are you seeking? I presume you have good speakers connected to the receiver, ideally at least about 5.1 so you have solid surround sound. Good sub for bass? Good center channel speaker for voices?

If you have your own media (videos, music, photographs), the Computers app (orange icon) is great for accessing all of that from a single source. IMO, it is much better than accessing it through the AppleTV app "library" because- among other things- you are not bombarded by advertising. Check out Computers, turn on home sharing on your computer and enjoy access to everything you have accumulated as owned media in a single app. It is often overlooked by people with new AppleTVs but it is the second most used app at our home.

Apple TV connected to TV through a Receiver hooked to some great "dumb" speakers is a fantastic source of video & audio. We greatly enjoy ours just about every day.

If you live close enough to get free HD over the air (antenna/rabbit ears) and/or subscribe to cable, look into the incredible Channels app and Silicon Dust HDHomeRun boxes which bring free over the air and/or cable into AppleTV much like a good DVR or cable box (minus the leases). Over-the-air can get you the big 4-5 major networks at quality better than cable for free. In that same spectrum, there can be many subchannels in lower quality running classic TV shows (some favorites of ours are MEtv, AntennaTV, LAFF, Catchy, Heroes & Icons), special interest, etc. Punch location info into the box at AntennaWeb and it will show you the free channels you can probably get. If you'd like to see what's on those channels, try ChannelMaster to see the current grid guide. Seeing all the freebies may motivate you to put up an antenna or get rabbit ears or similar. Channels is our most used AppleTV app.

If you have Apple-oriented friends, consider getting a phone or iPad mount for the TV so you can use the new Continuity Camera feature with the FaceTime app. It works much like FaceTime on an iDevice but you see the other party on the big screen... more like life size instead of micro-size on tiny iDevice or Mac screens.

My guess is that "old" receiver may not be able to pass through latest standards like HDR10+ (which may or may not matter because your TV may or may not be able to show them), so you might want to start thinking about a modern replacement for that Receiver as a next AV purchase. But for now, it should all look and sound fantastic. Enjoy!

Ask questions if you need more.

Last edited:

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
My ATV, connected through a modern Marantz receiver via HDMI, still insists that my 15 year old TV be on to play music.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
CEC on? Depending on the implementation of CEC, turning off the TV may turn off Receiver and maybe AppleTV too. I bypass CEC and manage CEC-like functions on a learn remote with macros ("one remote to rule them all").

And admittedly, the most common way I listen to music on the main system anymore is airplay direct from from Mac or iDevice to Receiver vs. going through AppleTV.

However, I just gave it a fresh try (CEC off) and was able to select music in AppleTV, Computers app, Music, playlist, select song, play. When it started, I turned off the TV and it continued playing (AppleTV to Receiver).

CEC can be fickle and not know the full intent of users. If one uses it, you use it as it works with your combination of A/V tech. Else, turn it off on all of the pieces and simulate it with a remote that can run macros when clicking buttons. For example, an ON macro does the same thing CEC does: turns all 3 links in the chain on. An OFF macro turns all A/V equipment off. Individual remote modes then control each link separately from the others. So enter TV mode with music playing and click OFF to turn off only the TV. CEC is generally just not smart enough to know that's what a user may want.

If OP wants to use CEC and experiences the same thing as you, the easy solution is just leave the TV on while listening to music. That usually leads to the Apple scenery videos (screen savers) after a minute or so. A benefit of this is that as new songs play, it overlays title and artist... while TV off obviously can't do that.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Check out Computers, turn on home sharing on your computer and enjoy access to everything you have accumulated as owned media in a single app. It is often overlooked by people with new AppleTVs but it is the second most used app at our home.
We use it a ton as well. This is where an always-on desktop really shines, doubling as a media server.

sdtoronto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
If the receiver has another HDMI input, hook the AppleTV right into the receiver. That way you can use the non-video benefits of it (like listening to music) without having the TV on. That's Apple TV to Receiver to TV instead of Apple TV to TV to Receiver. Ideally, a Receiver is the central hub/brain of a system, so the goal is usually to connect everything to it vs. making it a last link in any chain. The original AppleTV was called an iPod for your television. Take advantage of the iPod side of it (which doesn't even require a television): airplay target or stream music to it from your Mac, via apps like Apple Music, Pandora, etc.

Use overkill HDMI cables for the connections- like 8K 2.1 HDMI. They don't cost much more but will basically futureproof the cabling parts for the next decade or more.

In AppleTV, video settings, you can turn on match frame rate and match dynamic range so that stuff shot in various formats pass through to the TV... though THIS could prove to be a weak link if the receiver is too old to pass them through.

If you prefer the TVs or the Receivers remote as a master remote, you can train AppleTV to work with either. Usually this is done by clicking a button to put the remote in a different mode like cable (box), AUX, or similar. And then you "learn" it in the Apple TV remotes menu. After that, you can basically put the AppleTV remote away (though this option will not make the other remotes into Siri remotes if you want voice controls).

If the receiver is new enough to work with CEC, you can turn that on in AppleTV, Receiver and TV so that turning on AppleTV automatically turns on receiver and television... and turns all off when you are done watching.

What else are you seeking? I presume you have good speakers connected to the receiver, ideally at least about 5.1 so you have solid surround sound. Good sub for bass? Good center channel speaker for voices?

If you have your own media (videos, music, photographs), the Computers app (orange icon) is great for accessing all of that from a single source. IMO, it is much better than accessing it through the AppleTV app "library" because- among other things- you are not bombarded by advertising. Check out Computers, turn on home sharing on your computer and enjoy access to everything you have accumulated as owned media in a single app. It is often overlooked by people with new AppleTVs but it is the second most used app at our home.

Apple TV connected to TV through a Receiver hooked to some great "dumb" speakers is a fantastic source of video & audio. We greatly enjoy ours just about every day.

If you live close enough to get free HD over the air (antenna/rabbit ears) and/or subscribe to cable, look into the incredible Channels app and Silicon Dust HDHomeRun boxes which bring free over the air and/or cable into AppleTV much like a good DVR or cable box (minus the leases). Over-the-air can get you the big 4-5 major networks at quality better than cable for free. In that same spectrum, there can be many subchannels in lower quality running classic TV shows (some favorites of ours are MEtv, AntennaTV, LAFF, Catchy, Heroes & Icons), special interest, etc. Punch location info into the box at AntennaWeb and it will show you the free channels you can probably get. If you'd like to see what's on those channels, try ChannelMaster to see the current grid guide. Seeing all the freebies may motivate you to put up an antenna or get rabbit ears or similar. Channels is our most used AppleTV app.

If you have Apple-oriented friends, consider getting a phone or iPad mount for the TV so you can use the new Continuity Camera feature with the FaceTime app. It works much like FaceTime on an iDevice but you see the other party on the big screen... more like life size instead of micro-size on tiny iDevice or Mac screens.

My guess is that "old" receiver may not be able to pass through latest standards like HDR10+ (which may or may not matter because your TV may or may not be able to show them), so you might want to start thinking about a modern replacement for that Receiver as a next AV purchase. But for now, it should all look and sound fantastic. Enjoy!

Thanks a lot for this information. I will be able to try some of this out in a couple of weeks once Reno is complete in my home.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
AppleTV (the box) is quite loaded and feature rich. There's a lot of enjoyment in that little product. Dig in and you'll find that you can make it do a lot of enjoyable things... far more than the unfortunately (same) named app included on other hardware.

Too many think it begins & ends with only a few apps like Netflix, Hulu, Disney, AppleTV+, etc but that's like thinking iPhone begins & ends with the same, mainstream-streaming apps. There's a LOT it can do for people who never install that handful of apps.

Last edited:

sdtoronto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016

Thanks for a lot of ideas. My primary purpose is to get the best picture quality out of the Apple TV to my Sony Bravia. Be it Dolby Vision or HDR etc. Of course, at the same time I want to be able to get the best audio source to my receiver.

My receiver is not very new, not very old. However I know it cannot do 4K (I don't think). So does it make sense to feed Apple TV --> Receiver --> TV

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Assuming the Sony is a 4K TV then no, don't route video through the receiver if it can't pass through 4K.

So first, I'd confirm that my receiver can't handle 4K. If not... options:

1. Upgrade the Receiver to one that can handle 4K HDR... maybe go ahead and spend the extra $50-$150 for one that can handle 8K HDR too, to go ahead and be ready for your NEXT TV (and what will inevitably be an 8K AppleTV sooner or later).
  2. There are fairly inexpensive splitter devices- like this one of many- of various types that can split video & audio... so if you can find a suitable one, you could use a splitter to route HDMI video direct to the Sony while sending the audio to the Receiver you have. That particular example turns one stream of video + audio into TWO streams of the same... but that will probably still be fine for your aging Receiver to work with only the audio portion.
  3. Your TV may be able to do the splitter job, so that would be AppleTV INTO TV, HDMI ARC out of TV to Receiver. I personally don't like this option as I like the audio-only use of AppleTV at times, and- if routed through a TV- the TV will need to be on too, even for audio only listening to music, etc.

Last edited:

sdtoronto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
The broken link in my case is the old receiver. I have to connect ATV 4k directly to TV and then TV to the receiver via ARC. I was not aware there are only certain HDMI ports on the TV that accept hi bandwidth. Now I do get Dolby Vision.A

However audio is a problem still. If I leave Audio format to default, I only get stereo sound.
When using Change Format, and then selecting 5.1 I get surround sound. When selecting Change Format, I hear a constant hiss through the speakers.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
The broken link in my case is the old receiver. I have to connect ATV 4k directly to TV and then TV to the receiver via ARC. I was not aware there are only certain HDMI ports on the TV that accept hi bandwidth. Now I do get Dolby Vision.A

However audio is a problem still. If I leave Audio format to default, I only get stereo sound.
When using Change Format, and then selecting 5.1 I get surround sound. When selecting Change Format, I hear a constant hiss through the speakers.

i think this might be a bug in the latest version of TVOS. i always had it set to default and got 5.1 audio, but recently i had to change it to Change Format -> 5.1. there is some discussion about this out there but can't remember where i saw it - here or AVSForum. this is using optical SPDIF from the TV to the receiver with the TV connected directly to the appleTV via HDMI. ARC doesn't work right with my receiver as far as i can tell (older pioneer receiver)

sdtoronto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
i think this might be a bug in the latest version of TVOS. i always had it set to default and got 5.1 audio, but recently i had to change it to Change Format -> 5.1. there is some discussion about this out there but can't remember where i saw it - here or AVSForum. this is using optical SPDIF from the TV to the receiver with the TV connected directly to the appleTV via HDMI. ARC doesn't work right with my receiver as far as i can tell (older pioneer receiver)
is it possible to connect optical cable from TV to the receiver (instead of ARC)? Is that better sound than HDMI thru ARC?

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Just got the latest Apple TV 4K as well, and connected to a Sony 48" OLED TV. My audio connection is optical from the TV to an Onkyo 2-channel receiver (no HDMI option). But I do miss the optical port of the Apple TV 3 version. It was quite useful for those of us with only stereo (non-multichannel) receivers for direct AirPlay of music without TV involvement.

Last edited:

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
is it possible to connect optical cable from TV to the receiver (instead of ARC)? Is that better sound than HDMI thru ARC?

i mean, it is possible since that's what i am doing (and have done for like 10+ years). i wasn't aware of the limitation that @Audit13 pointed out though.

i doubt the sound is any better since all these various methods are digital.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
i mean, it is possible since that's what i am doing (and have done for like 10+ years). i wasn't aware of the limitation that @Audit13 pointed out though.

i doubt the sound is any better since all these various methods are digital.
I personally find the sound of Dolby Digital Plus much less harsh with a fuller sound than Dolby Digital.

sdtoronto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
When I use Sony TV's built in OS, and play a particular movie with multi channel audio, my receiver detects 5.1 audio and plays the same. However when I play the same movie through Apple TV using "auto" setting for audio format, it only send stereo. When I change audio format to 5.1, it of course forces the multi channel audio.

This is obviously some kind of a defect. Wonder if Apple is aware?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When I use Sony TV's built in OS, and play a particular movie with multi channel audio, my receiver detects 5.1 audio and plays the same. However when I play the same movie through Apple TV using "auto" setting for audio format, it only send stereo. When I change audio format to 5.1, it of course forces the multi channel audio.

Weird because, with the same source material, I can get 5.1 from my TV's app and from my AppleTV connected to my Anthem pre-pro. Audio is set to auto on my Apple TV.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
I personally find the sound of Dolby Digital Plus much less harsh with a fuller sound than Dolby Digital.

i was referring to spdif vs. ARC though, not the specific audio format. should have said "connection methods" i guess.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006

i think this is a bug in the latest version of tvos, i also have to force 5.1 or i get stereo. i think apple probably knows about it by now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.