iPhone XS Getting the best transfer speed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frez, Apr 17, 2019.

1. frez macrumors member

I've looked through the forums and didn't find this specific question .. so please excuse if it's been answered before.

Two questions:

1. If I connect my iPhone XS to a newer MacBook Pro with a USB-C port (using a USB-C to lightning cord) will the sync transfer rate be faster for backups?

(a) Is there a way to connect the iPhone XS to an older MacBook Pro (2013) that has a thunderbolt 2 port

(b) and will it also result in speed increase?

2. chabig macrumors 603

1. No. iPhone’s Lightning port is USB only. MacBook USB-C ports support many different protocols, including USB. But since the phone is USB, you just get a USB connection to the MacBook Pro.

2a. Yes. The 2013 MacBook has two USB-A ports. The iPhone will connect with a simple cable.

2b. You can’t connect the iPhone to the Thunderbolt port, so the question is moot. Even if you could, the iPhone would not magically become a high speed Thunderbolt device. It’s just USB.

3. velocityg4, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Everything I can find says they are still limited to USB 2.0 speeds. Only the latest iPad Pro supports 3.0 speeds.

4. iF34R macrumors 65816

iF34R

I connect my iPhone XS Max via lightening/usb-c cable, to the usb-c port on my laptop, doesn't help the transfer speeds at all.

5. frez thread starter macrumors member

Ok .. it's just a dream then for now .. thanks everyone.