Getting the correct ram?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RaceJunkie, Dec 18, 2007.

1. RaceJunkie macrumors regular

I just bought a new iMac 2.4 24" As you know it came with 1gb of ram. Well I asked the local reseller about upgrading it to 2gig and he quoted me a price of $80.00 for the ram and $20.00 install. But last night I was reading the manual and seen that it's really easy to install new ram, so today I was checking prices for myself (reading your guide) and found that Crucial had a
    4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module

For US $149.99 it was the most expensive of the three offered. Now i did find this using my work PC and using firefox by selecting the proper Manuf. and etc.. so i will check it again when I get home from my Mac.

Is this even close to what it would cost to upgrade this machine to 4gb? I am a firm believer you get what you pay for, and do not mind buying from another vender if the ram is top quality and my Mac will benefit from it.

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/

That page will help you find the right type of memory based on settings from "About Your Mac" on your iMac, just choose your processor chip and screen size and follow directions.

I also recommend doing business with OWC since they have great prices, ship quickly, the memory is tested, and they have a return policy to make a few bucks back if you want to send in your old chips. Although best to keep them for a bit to ensure all is well. Be sure to fill and match both slots (as you noted) so you get optimum performace from the DUO Core technology for apps that utilize it.

I upgraded my late 2006 iMac with 4MG (actually 3.3GB due to Kernal restrictions for my iMac, but better than 2GB and I get the DUO CORE 7-8% boost in performance since both slots filled). Did it in 10 minutes. With your newer iMac you'll get the full 4GB of course.

-jim

3. RaceJunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks that is crazy cheap, I mean I am getting 3 times the ram I was quoted from my local reseller.. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53IM2DDR4GBK/

$98.00 hard to pass on that..

4. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

It's also super easy and inexpensive to install/upgrade memory on your own.

Plus you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself! :D

5. RaceJunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed!!! I have replaced the ram in my pc's before but had no idea how it was done in a Mac. Now I see it's even easier:D

6. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4