Getting the dreaded restore error 14

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RexTraverse, Mar 7, 2009.

1. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

I have an 1st Gen iPod touch 4GB - bought it the first week they were out but haven't used it much since I got my iPhone 3G last year at launch. (It's been more or less unused for the last 8 months) A friend wanted to buy the touch off me so I decided to download the latest updates. During the update process, something screws up, and now it's in restore mode. Everytime I try to restore the touch, it stalls out and gives me error 14. Will note that the touch has never been jailbroken or anything.

Now before anyone says it, I've seen the Apple Support doc on error messages and I've tried pretty much everything on that list:

- Deleted and redownloaded the firmware update
    - restarted iTunes / restarted Mac
    - tried restoring from both Windows XP and Windows 7 Beta. (Had to go out of my way to download iTunes and the firmware update for both.)
    - tried different computers / different USB ports / different USB cables
    - tried using a Guest Account / created a new user account just to try

The only thing I haven't tried is taking it into Apple, but since the touch is well past the 1 year warranty, I'm not about to spend God knows how much money they want to fix this thing when I barely use it now. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've thought about doing a jailbreak, but it would have to be in order to get legit firmware onto the thing. My friend isn't tech savvy at all and I don't want her to have to deal with anything other than idiot-proof iTunes.

Very annoyed at my $300 paperweight right about now. Thanks for any help.

2. qacjared macrumors regular

Apple never made a 4 gb iPod Touch. The 8 gb one, however, has two 4gb flash chips in it. Perhaps you have a hardware problem that is causing your iPod to not recognize the other 4 gigs that is also causing this error 14.

3. RexTraverse thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry... it's been so long since I've used this thing. It's a MA623LL/A iPod touch 8GB, Model A1213, Week 2007-37 (aka the first week of mass production).

4. qacjared macrumors regular

Yea, I have a week 38. I remember the 37s having the black screen problem and being happy I got a 38. Have you tried putting it in DFU mode?

http://limitededitioniphone.com/how-to-put-the-iphone-into-dfu-mode/

5. RexTraverse thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah... I've tried DFU mode. Same problem.

The initial screen issue, the $20 1.1.4 upgrade, the $10 2.0 upgrade, and now this. This iPod touch is quick becoming the most annoying product I've ever purchased from Apple.

6. Edwin124 macrumors member

i see you didn't remove itunes/apple mobile device support, that will probably fix your issue, i've gotten a couple calls about this issue before (ipod tech support agent :)) and the removal of itunes is usually the fix. Oh and its a lot easier then it sounds

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1747

7. RexTraverse thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm certainly open to trying that. But before I give myself that headache, a question about this. It seems to imply that perhaps the AMDS is corrupted or something. Remember I did a fresh install of iTunes for Windows in XP via Parallels and Win 7 in Boot Camp. Both systems had not had iTunes (or Quicktime or Safari or any Apple app other than Boot Camp drivers) installed to date. I've also tried connecting my iPod touch to two other Macs. I find it hard to believe that all 4 machines have a faulty AMDS.

8. Edwin124 macrumors member

go ahead and try that then lmk what happens

PM'd