Getting the Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Primejimbo, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

So I am fed up with Verizon and I'm at a point I might just cancel my contract. I use to love Verizon but the last few months we have nothing but billing problems. I been reading on here and I get mixed views on the Iphone, so I'm not sure yet. I was looking at the Buyers Guide and it says "don't buy now" so this is giving me some time because I would want the newest and since it's not far away, I'll just wait.
    So what advice do you Iphone people have? I live in the western suburbs of Chicago. How good is the signal? Is it reliable? Should I get it from an Apple store or AT&T? I know I can't get insurance for it, but I heard I might be able to get some kind of insurance if I got it from Best Buy, is this true?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Katuls macrumors member

Look at all the phones coming out soon, not just iphone, imo.

If you want a total business phone, this isn't for you.
    If you like to view and send picture messages, this isn't for you.
    If you like to copy and paste text, or run more than one program, this isn't for you.
    If you want a video capable phone or Turn by turn navigation, this phone isnt for you.

However, if you want great internet browsing, good e-mail, the best touch screen, and (some) useful apps, this may be the phone for you.

3. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

Isn't there an app for a navigation? The others I don't care about, but I do like having my daughter send goofy pics :(

4. Katuls macrumors member

yes, there is maps. But it wont help you with turn by turn directions/ voice guided, etc.

5. rednano74 macrumors member

"Nothing but billing problems" usually means something like this ----> I went way over my minutes or txts causing my bill to be extremely high. My phone company won't negotiate my stupidity. I see this all the time from idiots at work. :rolleyes:

The iPhone does not have navi or mms.

6. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

My billing problems if you must know are not related to minutes or texting at all (we have unlimited texting and NEVER go near our minutes, we have 1400 min package and use about 500-700 a month). My daughter has everything 100% blocked on her phone except texting and calling, but she still gets charged for data usage. The data part of her phone is blocked 100%, and they even said it's blocked. They also charged my wife a few times for navigation.. it’s BLOCKED and they even know it and confirmed it. Everytime I call them they say "yup, it's blocked and I don't know why this is happening". They do credit me for it, but I am sick of calling them once a month to fix these issues that shouldn't be happening So how is this a stupid issue? Why don’t you get the facts before you assume what the problem is and call people an idiot.
    So yeah, everyone who has a billing issue is always 100% wrong and everyone want "their phone company to negotiate their stupidity" :rolleyes:

7. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

I would wait a few months. Apple may have something big in store for us.

8. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Actually the iPhone does have navi if you live in the US.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Not to mention bloody amazing iPod.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

To be clear, he's talking about MMS, which the iPhone lacks. So it can't send photos to other phones in text messages.

It CAN send and receive photos by e-mail, both to and from computers and other phones that support e-mail.

So it depends on how your daughter is sending them.

11. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

My daughter won't be getting an iphone, just a normal phone from at&t. With Verizon I can email my daughters phone directly using Phone#@vtext.com and she'll get the message and if I send a picture it would be Phone#@vpic.com (I think thats the email address) can I do that with her phone?
    Also I can send a text to an email address, I just type the email address instead of the phone number and I cand send a message that way also, can i do that still?

12. Katuls macrumors member

You can send pictures and texts like that from your iphone, but you will have to go to a website and enter a username and password in order to view a picture your daughter sent you. Takes way tooo long for me.

13. Jmclark macrumors regular

How can you set up receiving? I know I'm kind of an idiot for not knowing, but don't you need a password to access the mms.att.net e-mail?

Or are you saying make tell them to add your e-mail address to your contact? Because not many people I know would want to bother adding it, then remember to send it to the e-mail address, especially since me and my friends mostly send chain letters as chain messages. Oh well.

14. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

15. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

by most of the time you mean when it happens to you right?

16. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

if you do like mms i would consider staying with verizon and getting the storm

17. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

lol
    We want to leave Verizon; like I said before they like to bill me for things that are blocked from our phones, so the Storm is out. We went to look at the iPhone yesterday (bad idea lol) and my wife was very impressed with it. The 1st guy at the Apple store that showed us was ok, but after he left my wife had another question and the 2nd guy was awesome! He was very knowledgeable and a really big help to us (again bad idea lol). My wife also found Apps that you can send picture texts with the iPhone (not sure how well it works) but that isn’t the deal breaker if we can’t do that. I think the Pros out weight the cons.
    Now the hard part… I am trying to convince my wife to wait for the update. I told her that at this point we’re better off waiting and get the latest iPhone. It’s only a few months away and I think I can deal with Verizon knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Thank you all and if anyone else has ideas I am all ears.

18. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

show your wife the buyers guide on here and tell her it wont be very long

19. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

just try it out and see how you like it.
    If you dont, return it.
    If you do, keep it.
    Go to an apple store and play with it as long as you like, even until your used to it.

20. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

when the time comes, where is the best place to buy 1?
    Apple Store
    Best Buy
    at&t?

21. jeremykyle macrumors regular

Gross. -_-

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

walmart

23. Jmclark macrumors regular

If you are just buying iPhones, obviously go to the Apple Store, just because they are that cool.

If you (like I'm going to have to do) are getting a family plan with other family members who don't want iPhones, and just want cheap ones, you definitely should go to AT&T, since you'll get the best selection of other phones there, plus the iPhone.

24. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Email you can email pictures to the other persons phone number email. 10digitnumber@att.mms.net for att users. Can't be bothered to find other carriers but it is MMS essentially.

25. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

AWESOME This is what I was looking for!