Getting the Most out of your MBA's Storage

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by zMacintoshz, Jun 18, 2012.

1. zMacintoshz macrumors regular

zMacintoshz

hi all i posted here(http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1390009) before on how i was suprozed that my 128GB SSD turned out to have only 95gbs of usable space on it. i was wondering how previous MBA owners maximize their space on their SSD. Also is it possible to uninstall/remove stock applications such as GarageBand, iMovie, etc

thanks

2. Nick11851 macrumors newbie

I will be storing:

- music with iTunes match (I generally only ever use my phone for music)
    -all vids on portable harddrive

And only really store docs and photos on the air.

I have also been thinking of getting a time capsule for backups and storing vids. Anyone know if these function like a regular harddrive ie can be picked up by Xbox 360 to stream vids to tv?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For the most part, you're better off leaving apps where they are. If you know you'll never use something like Garageband, you may be able to uninstall it, but look first to see how much space you'll gain by doing so. Your best bet is to move non-critical user files to an external drive. You can also do things like splitting your iTunes library, keeping your favorite music on the MBA and storing the rest on an external drive.

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations

4. glen e macrumors 68030

How I xtend storage:
    iTunes library on 1 tb outboard 3.0 USB hard drive
    64 USB in 2nd USB port when traveling
    IPhone for tunes when traveling

Using finder to find dupes every month

Not collecting "trash" -pics, vids and programs I'll never need or use....

5. aleni macrumors 68020

i use 32gb sdcard for temporary movies i will watch. then all my movie archive is in the NAS connected to airport extreme.

6. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

have you found a smaller, 64GB USB 2.0/3.0 key that's decently fast where you can essentially plug into the USB port all the time? just curious..