Getting the new Macbook Air or the soon outdated Macbook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bernth, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Bernth macrumors newbie

Hi all
    I will be getting a new Macbook shortly. Will primarily be used to study - I have at the moment a fully upgraded Macbook Air from mid 2011
    I have although some doubts which of these two options I should pick

Option 1) Macbook Air 13" with the following specifications:
    1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

or

Option 2) Macbook Pro Retina 13" with the following specifications:
    2.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

Bearing in mind that the Macbook air has just been updated.

So which should I pick and which will hold the price best if I was to sell it in 3 years time ?

Thanks in advance :)

2. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

The new 2014 MBA with the 1.7 GHz processor is literally the exact same computer as the 2013 model. The new MBA is arguably more outdated than the rMBP. If you need a computer now, get what works best for you. I would think that the rMBP would hold its value better because the MBA should get a major update in the next 6 months. I just bought a MBA yesterday because I was able to get it fairly cheap and I have reserved myself to not getting the refreshed MBA as soon as it is released. Honestly, you have a great computer right now, and neither the 2014 MBA nor the rMBP will perform significantly better than the 2011 MBA. I would recommend holding on to your computer. Right now is not a great time to buy a new Mac.

Matt

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I beg to differ somewhat.

I think the 2013 MBA is a superb computer, and far better than either the model of 2010 (which I had) or the 2012, (which I bought last year as my 2013 CTO was not ready in time before I returned abroad). The 2012 was a lovely computer, but I found the 2013 model (which is 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Core i7) to be far better, faster, more powerful with an excellent battery life, and I sold the 2012 model not long afterwards.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Pro's display is fantastic but the Air is better on portability. Personally, I would go Pro.

5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I agree that the MBA is more "outdated" than the rMBP, particularly on the screen. By next year the rMBPs will be very similar to a model you buy today, but next years' MBAs will likely be Retina and streets ahead of the current model.

The MBA is a great machine in all other respects, but the screen is terrible by modern standards. The rMBP is a great machine full stop.