Getting the size of multiple items?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Syndacate, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Syndacate macrumors regular

Hey,

I was just wondering if there were any shortcuts (or anything) to get the size of a selection (in finder) of items in totality (not the individual size of each item).

Ie. I have a folder with like 20 folders and 100 files, I want the size of the 100 files, I can select them all, but if I hit apple + I it will give me 100 info windows. Any way to get 1 info window with the total size? I can run the disk usage command with regex matching from the terminal, but that only goes so far if the file names are vastly different.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

- Greg

2. thunderweb macrumors 6502

thunderweb

3. JeffMonty macrumors member

Hold down the Option (Alt) key as well. So Cmd + Option + I.

4. freesonwang macrumors member

I have been looking for a way to do this FOREVER. Thanks a lot!

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

The cool thing about cmd-opt-I is that it changes dynamically. Click on another file (or group of files), and you don't have to cmd-I to see the size of that one (group).

6. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks man, that's what I was looking for, I'd hoped that there was shortcut as it's standard option for most linux desktop environments as well as windows, but usually when there's a shortcut in OS X you can find the actual drop down in one of the dropdowns on the menubar.

Thanks.

Yeah, that's pretty nifty.

7. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Seems I learn something new everyday here on MR about OS X. Cmd+Option+I is now locked into memory for future use. Gotta love this place. :D

8. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, on one hand there's that. On the other hand though, MR has a handful of elitist jackass fan boys that piss me off.

example: I'd like the option to cut in paste (files), it annoys me that you need a hack for it, or a script, or whatever, b/c it's not here. Then you have people come in here and say "well it's mac, not windows, stop expecting windows, just because it's there doesn't make it right" - then when you tell them it's not just windows, it's infact, EVERY operating system that uses icons in their GUI's short of shortcut driven icons such as fluxbox's link packages, they tell you that cut/paste leads to data loss which is why it's not used, as "what happens if you forget to paste, or cut another file before you paste," which, seeing as the file isn't moved until you hit paste, and if you cut another file, the original cut was canceled, there is no issue, these people clearly have never used cut and paste before outside of text.

So it annoys me that you can't always get the normal, helpful people here, sometimes you need to deal with the elitist jackasses as well :(.