getting the value of an NSSecureTextField

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by liptonlover, Oct 1, 2008.

1. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I have a secure text field for a password, and it works fine because I haven't done anything to it. But when I try using the following line of code,
    [getPassword setStringValue:password];
    The rest of the code in the method doesn't get called. Additionally, getPassword still doesn't equal the password. How do I retrieve the password? I've looked at the class documents and securetextfield doesn't seem to have any protection, it doesn't add anything to a regular textfield except that you can't see the typing. Help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Nate

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

There was another recent thread with NSSecureTextField not working as expected, but from what I can, it is working fine (I made a sample project and tested it). I'm not sure what else to say, just make sure you're using the standard setStringValue: and stringValue methods on the text field, which it looks like you are doing.

3. liptonlover thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried changing it to
    Code:
    [thePassword setValue:[password stringValue]];

But it still didn't work. Oh yeah... thePassword is just an NSString, properly alloc'd and init'd. Here's what the console says each time I get to this line, even when I make changes like the above one.
    Code:
    [Session started at 2008-10-01 15:16:28 -0400.]
    2008-10-01 15:16:35.506 Finder[5232:10b] *** -[NSCFString setValue:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0xa0721328
    2008-10-01 15:16:35.507 Finder[5232:10b] *** -[NSCFString setValue:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0xa0721328

The Debugger has exited with status 0.

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

NSString doesn't have a setValue: method. Unless you're using an NSMutableString you can't change a string's value. Reassign it like so:
    Code:
    thePassword = [password stringValue];

5. liptonlover thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks... problem solved. I always forget about mutable/immutable classes <_<
    Nate