Getting the Verizon iPhone in Store Thursday

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drarrex7, Feb 7, 2011.

1. drarrex7 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to hear from some other folks in my boat. I'm planning to try and pick up a Verizon iPhone in-store on Thursday morning. Although I'm already a Verizon customer, I passed on the pre-order opportunity because my brother-in-law works for Verizon and I wanted to give him the commission. He's been trying to sell me an Android phone for a while, so it was the least I could do. It's awfully tough today though, watching all the pre-orderers receive their phones!

So, what do you think it's going to be like in stores Thursday? Insanely mobbed and tough to get one? Or do you think most of the desperate folks pre-ordered an you'll just be able to walk in and get one?

2. Matt336 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what to expect. I live in a town of 50,000 so I'm not sure how busy it will be. All the Verizon stores open at 7 (unfortunately there is only 1 store here) so I plan on showing up at 5:30 and standing in line. I am switching from Alltel (AT&T is taking them over) so I'm hoping it doesn't take too long to get set up.

When I was in the Verizon store last week, the reps were unsure of what to expect as well.

3. iFitz macrumors regular

Considering only existing customers could pre-order and not all of those who wanted them got them, you're going to have a lot of existing customers plus all those wo want to switch to Verizon. If you've ever followed the ATT launches, you'd know that it will be a madhouse. You'll see people start to line up the night before.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

That transition is long over like 2009. Do you still have an Alltel plan? If so, their not compatible with the iPhone and you will have to sign up for a Verizon "nation wide" plan.

5. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

50,000 nice.. I live in a city with roughly 126,000!

6. Matt336 macrumors newbie

Good luck with that.:eek: I hope it's not too crowded here. I figure the temperatures and the fact that it is a week day will shy people away. It's supposed to be -11F that night/morning.

7. nora47 macrumors regular

damn, ive always wondered how it is living in cities that small, mine is at about 1.5 million give or take.

8. drarrex7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, my brother-in-law also was unsure of what to expect. He said they were anticipating people starting to line up around 4 or 5, but I wouldn't be surprised if it started earlier than that. I may try to get there around 5. I'm in a city of about 175,000. We have several Verizon stores to share the load, but no Apple store.

9. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

No, actually it isn't over.

Verizon was not allowed to buy all of the Alltel markets and assets. AT&T bought some, and AT&T is having to rip all of the old CDMA gear out and replace it with GSM/UMTS gear.

In addition, there are some markets not bought by either AT&T or Verizon and they are continuing to operate independently, although I'm not sure of what name they're doing business under.

Again, if the OP's market was bought by AT&T then they're compatible with the iPhone. As of yesterday, if the OP's market is on Verizon, then it is also iPhone compatible.

10. Centient macrumors 6502

Busier than usual for sure, but I don't think it will be a repeat of last June or anything. My guess is that there will be a good turn out in the early morning and by afternoon it will have tapered off. Maybe another bump after the workday is done as folks stop in to buy or browse.

Fortunately I have an Apple store in my area and plan on trying to pre-order for in store pick up the day before. We'll see how that plan goes...:)

11. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Pre-orders went much the same as they did for AT&T in June.

I arrived at one of three local malls at 10 PM the night before the in store launch and was 30th in line. By 2 AM, there were a couple hundred people in line. By 5, more than 500, but the time the store opened, there were well over 1000 people in line. It stretched down two mall hallways, covering the entire width of the hallways. Being 30th in line, I finally got through the store at 12:30PM.

Based on the news reports, the other two malls were the same way.

If you don't have one pre-ordered, buy a sleeping bag or wait a week.

12. Matt336 macrumors newbie

MIght want to check your facts. AT&T isn't taking over in ND until "mid march" and that date has been pushed back twice already.

I am in a current alltel plan and am signing up for Verizon on Thursday. I will cancel my Alltel account when AT&T takes over in March.

13. Jack105 macrumors member

I plan on waiting in the morning. I have never done this before and am a little excited. I don't know what to expect tho, and my upgrade isn't up until sat the 12th but a rep at the store said they would upgrade me that day if I came in, hopefully I'm not waiting in line for nothing. He put his number on his card and gave it to me and told me to call him, kinda tempted to to see if they will really upgrade me early.

14. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

I live 5 minutes away from apple in Cupertino we have so many apple and verizon stores around here..lol. I got my phone this morning so I'm good.. Good luck to everyone that goes to grab one!