Getting tired of waiting

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darwing, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Darwing macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well I've been waiting specifically for the new model of iPhone to come out. Original rumors were that it was just going to be a bit faster with a better camera... I figured as much...

Yet I keep waiting, even if it's the slightest upgrade from the iPhone4. Because it's been a year since it's release.

HOWEVER, now it's gotten to the point where, a minor hardware upgrade is lacking in comparison to the opposition... A bigger screen and operating system smoothness with comparable applications are all around us...

Two things: if apple doesn't make a Bohr physical change for the next phone I think they are in for some serious issues.
    Two: as of now there are great phones, what do I do?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

1. It doesn't matter what Apple does with the next iPhone. Wether it's an overhaul (doubt it) or just a spec bump, people will buy it anyway. Apple certinetly won't be in trouble.

2. The iPhone 4 is still a great device. If your content with the features it has and won't be disappointed when a new one comes out in sept with the a5 and a better camera, then buy now.

As far as OS fluidity goes, if your comparing it to Android, iOS is still leagues ahead.

3. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I'm on Verizon and have been waiting since 2007 to get an iPhone...tell me about it.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You buy the phone you want and stop stressing over it so much. If only the world's problems could be as insignificant as yours.

The next iPhone will be a hit, regardless of how much or how little they increase the specs.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If your current phone does what you need it to, stop grousing.
    If your current phone doesn't dowhat you need it to, buy an iPhone 4 now, or wait, but stop grousing.
    If you find a phone that suits your needs better than an iPhone, buy it, but stop grousing.

6. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

i agree with several comments, 1) im on verizon, have had every single android made, even dual cores, with more RAM, they still dont have the overall experience of the iPhone. Even tho im running beta 3 and 4.2.8 is a little better, the iPhone still runs like a champ. Also, i have been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while. what is a couple more months. 2) i think a dual core iPhone would be good enough for years to come, i dont see the point in all this quad core talk, its a phone people, not a laptop, desktop, or even a tablet. So, why have a phone that is more powerful than your pc or mac, i know i paid a pretty penny for my MBP and would be dissapointed if people had phones that were more powerful, or at least as powerful. 3) im not sure if a major redesign is needed, the iPhone 4 is by a long shot the best looking phone on the market. Screen size doesnt matter as ive used all the 4.3 inch phones and when i come back to 3.5, it feels fine. so whatever comes out, i will enjoy, and it will be good enough.

7. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm on the 3GS right now and have been since the first day the 3GS came out. So that's y I wan to upgrade.

The 3GS does everything I like it to, but the front facing camera is a bit annoying, but ready to upgrade.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If you already have a smartphone, just wait a few weeks for the iPhone 5.

9. Darwing, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011

Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

So you have used a 4.3" phone then came back? Tell me a little more about that experience.

I love the iPhone experience, as well I'm a developer and can access the root system to fiddle with things I like to custom. I travel a lot and watch shows and tv and stuff on my phone as I travel so I was wanting a little bigger screen. Granted some of the phones out there are a little TOO big like the evo, but I would say using all the iPhones real estate grabbing another .5" or so would be a welcome change :)

Are we even sure there is one coming out? Yes tradition says it will and rumor mills stewing but nothing concrete... It would just suck if we waited all this time and they come out saying we are releasing a iPhone 5 at the end of 2011 or 2012..

I don't know what I would end up doing I love apple and love the iPhone... I hate android, but the new windows phones look nice!

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

iOS was announced for the fall, you can bet you bottom there will be a new iPhone in the fall. The iPhone makes up 40% of Apple's revenue.

11. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

I, too, am getting tired of waiting. I have an early equipment upgrade available to me right now and the Infuse 4G or Inspire 4G are looking pretty tempting, but I know I'll be pissed if I stray from iOS.

So basically, all I can do is wait till the 4S/5 comes out. If there is a design remodel, I'm pretty certain I will get it. If it is the 4S, I will only get it if there is significant improvements (LED indicator is big for me, better battery, LTE which is a longshot, etc). If the spec bump doesn't impress, I will try out the Infuse or Inspire for a bit and hang on to my 4 if I can't stand it.

12. aztooh macrumors 6502a

In the same boat. Still on a 3g :(

Not a fan of the 4, and it was already 6 months old when my upgrade came up anyway, so used my upgrade to get the Atrix. Liked what I could do with it, but a few things didn't work so well so I took it back. Decided to wait to see what the new iPhone brings to the table before making another purchase. My contract w/att ends in about 5 weeks...if nothing is announced about new hardware by then, I'm getting something else. My 3g is nearly unusable at this point.

And really, it's perfectly possible there is no new hardware by years end. Sure, the iPhone is their bread and butter, but it's still selling. And iOS 5 could extend the 4's life cycle for the second time (1st being release of the white version).

13. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Apple is not scared of the competition and if they are its probably a miniscule concern and they sure as heck arent afraid of a MR user. You know what I like about Apple other than usability, reliability and simplicity? The companies borderline arrogant confidence. They hardly do much attacking while allot of other companies, products, etc. entire base is Apple bashing...its great they really are the "Alpha male" of the market these days...its sort of like that annoying guy that steals your girlfriend, hes an ass, isn't understanding but he's assertive and confident and he'll use that to his advantage. Apple will have customers kissing their feet tell the end of time make no mistake.

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

Just get an iPhone 4 right now if you can't wait another 1-2 months for the next iPhone announcement. Realize technology improves all the time and you can't wait and wait for the next upgrade because there will always be an upgrade.

My best advice to you is to compare the iPad 1 vs iPad 2 in speed tests on YouTube. A4 vs A5 chip with the latter likely being in the iPhone 5.

I've watched it and the iPad 2 is noticeably faster by about two seconds, give or take. Graphics is definitely smoother because the A5 contains a much more beefier GPU.

So if you aren't much of an iPhone gamer, then iPhone 4 will suffice just fine for you. If you want a couple seconds faster difference in opening apps and websites, need the dual-core to future-proof your purchase, need smoother graphics rendering in games, and need a higher MP count on the cam, then just wait. I figure some just want to see what the design looks like. I say batt life will be pretty close just like the iPad 1 and iPad 2 are.

iPad 2 is really the closest thing to comparing the future of iPhone 5's hardware with perhaps iPhone 5 featuring a better camera.

iPad vs iPad 2, A4 vs A5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4FCfvyS8b4

15. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

Only reason I would say not to get the iPhone 4 right now is because you are signing a new 2 year contract (unless you have a lot of money to waste) and then you still won't be able to get the iPhone 5 or 6. So basically, you will be even more behind than if you just wait a couple more months.

16. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Whilst Im a firm believer that the iPhone 4 is still the best smartphone on the market I also believe that if we get an iPhone 4S rather than an iPhone5 Apple will fall behind in the coming year.

17. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

The tiring part is that, at least last year we had a leaked unit to drool and speculate over. This year nothing but endless baseless rumors and a longer wait. I hope the extra wait is damn well worth it because if it's just a warmed over iPhone 4, Apple is going to look pathetic (and of course still sell millions)

18. megapopular macrumors 6502a

You can always sell your iPhone for $300 minimum on eBay if you keep it in good condition, then you'll be paying only the "normal" subsidized pricing for the iPhone 6 or whatever they call the new device next year. I don't know why people forget about the resell value of their iPhones.

19. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I don't get why people are so set on the latest and greatest phone. I have a 3GS and I am still very happy with it, the cell phone version of "Keeping up with the Jones'" is ridiculous in my opinion. :rolleyes: I probably will upgrade to the new iPhone when it comes out, just because 16GB on my current phone just isn't enough.

20. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I've had a Nexus One, Samsung Captivate, and Inspire 4G. I'm now on an iPhone 4 and it's like heaven. No more problems... The big screen wasn't worth it. And because of the low resolution, it didn't even effect much.

21. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

THIS

I love my iphone 4 and what it does and i only want the 5 so bad because it is a new bit of kit which is why apple will sells crap loads. People will always want whats new even if it is only minor changes

if the 5 has a

better camera
    slightly bigger screen
    slightly faster

would it be worth spending £500 on it? honestly no but if i do it would be because i want what is new.

the 5 will likely just be a slight upgrade i doubt they will completly change it. Only a guess though.

my contract ends dec 2012 so will likely wait for the 6.

22. aztooh macrumors 6502a

That doesn't apply to everyone here. Like I said, I'm on the 3g still. And I got it for 49 when the 3gs came out. So 'having the latest and greatest' is far from the point. I'm not interested in the iP4. I hate the form factor. I want a larger screen, especially after having it for a month with the Atrix.

So I'm waiting to see what the next iPhone brings before deciding on what to get.

23. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Apple is not scared of the competition? C'mon man. They'd still be on the 3G and iOS 3 if they weren't afraid. They know they have to step up their game and they have been. When the 4 came out, is was easily the best phone out.

Not to mention the number of ridiculous lawsuits they have out there.

Not everyone will buy Apple just because of the brand. If the 4S/5 comes out and doesn't cut it, I and many customers are moving on to something different until they get it right.

24. Reach9, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I've been waiting since I downloaded iOS 4.0 on my iPhone 3G.
    Well, we have no clue what the next iPhone will have. But it's true, I also want a bigger screen.
    OS smoothness? the only thing that is as smooth is Windows Phone 7. Comparable apps? you mean app store? Then nope none.

WSJ has said that the next iPhone will be thinner and lighter, and will obviously have an A5 chip and an 8MP camera. Also, the iPhone 4 design was said to have 'fallen out of favor' by the Apple execs, which makes perfect sense. We can expect a different designed iPhone 5 this year, and a spectacular upgrade next year.

It makes no sense to lock yourself up in a contract now, just wait it out like the rest of us. It's the smart thing to do.

Are you really comparing an A5 chip on a big tablet device which uses a lot the processor power, to an A5 chip in a small hand-sized device?

But it comes down to preference. I think that it makes absolutely no sense to buy an iPhone 4 at this point, because you'll be stuck in a 2 year contract as the rest of us (who will be getting the 5), but you'll be getting less for your money.

Agreed. Also, i'm on the iPhone 3G as well. The iPhone 5 upgrade will be the biggest for us, because the iPhone 3G is just like the original iPhone but with 3G capabilities and a plastic back.

Apple isn't afraid of competition? you must be a fanboy.