Getting to Know OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Qinetic, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Qinetic macrumors member

So I just got my Macbook today. I bought it because I thought I wanted to try something different. I don't really know much about OS X but I've having fun playing with everything. It seems so much more organized, which is HUGE to me. Before I say what I didn't like so much I'd like to say that some things were FANTASTIC. iPhoto is the first thing. It's freakin awesome. Setting up my wireless network was also very awesome. Expose is a very good feature as well. I haven't gotten the feel for spaces yet. I'm not exactly sure how people use that. And once again it has a beautiful fit and finish. Windows feels sooo sloppy compared to this. Even with a brand new Windows I never felt like it was clean.

But my first impression has some questions that need to be answered. First, I'd like to make windows completely maximized. How can I do this? Is iWork similar to Office because I'm going to need one of them? Is it a good idea to use the desktop like a windows desktop and soft of eliminate the dock? The dock is very odd to me but maybe I have to get used to it. Minimizing windows and getting that back up is different for sure. I just want to know how people setup their desktops for productivity and functionality. I'm sure I'll find other things that are strange to me but this is all for now. :)

2. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

You can't necessarily maximize your window full screen as nicely as you can on Windows, but if I ever would need to do that I'd just drag it from the bottom right all across the screen - but I don't think Mac was meant for maximizing things like browser windows, etc- it's one big difference with Windows -> Mac. I don't see a need to have any of my windows full screen because my 20" screen is large enough to fit multiple windows at once and still have them be big enough.

Spaces is a handy feature I use everyday to help minimize the clutter of my desktop by dragging certain windows to other "spaces" - each "space" is another desktop, so to speak.

iWork is similar to Office, and it's getting better and better each and every update. Personally I prefer Keynote (from iWork) over PowerPoint by a TON but it's not compatible with Windows as much as it is with Mac so if I'm going to be presenting it on a Windows machine I go with PowerPoint. Other than that I personally think that Office > iWork. Pages has some great templates that you can't use in Word, though.

You'll get used to the dock. It's great! :D IMO Dock > Taskbar, but with Windows 7 I think it's clear that Microsoft knows how to improve the Taskbar now, and the Taskbar is very nice in W7 :)

Minimizing is very poor in the dock, yes - but I find no need to minimize windows - you can drag them to different Spaces or press CMD (Apple) + H on your keyboard to hide the window and easily get back to it by clicking on the applicatino in the dock.

Depending on if I have a lot of things going on at once, I have 4-6 spaces open and I'm all set. I love Spaces and it GREATLY minimizes clutter on my desktop. I never minimize windows at all, or maximize them.

Hope that helps :)

3. Doju macrumors 68000

Firstly, give the dock a chance. It's THE Mac feature. :p You'll grow to like, no, love it. Give it time. :)

For iWork vs. Office, check out Macrumor's article. But basically, Excel is better than Numbers (Numbers is more simplistic, so if that suits you, go for it, but it lacks a lot of features compared to Excel) Pages is slightly lacking compared to Word, but I prefer the interface, and don't need advanced features, so it's more than sufficient for me, I definitely prefer it to Word.

Keynote, plain and simple, makes Powerpoint look like a five minute beta project put on by Bill Gate's blind dog. Hyperbole? Perhaps, but it's incredible.

Windows completely maximed: drag bottom right corner of screen.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Macs.

4. Qinetic thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input. I'd like to maximize a screen because some sites are horizontally shorter so if I maximize that and then go to a larger site then I have to re-maximize it. If I have it completely maximized I know I'll never have to fiddle with anything. As far the dock goes I guess I'll just use and it and hope it grows on me.

5. ihabime macrumors 6502

Good tips so far, i'd add that putting your Applications folder on the dock and setting it to list view is a good replacement for cluttering your dock with lots of Apps.

Peter Maurers Witch, is a good addition too, it's like the alt-tab switcher, but for windows instead of applications.

6. Qinetic thread starter macrumors member

When playing WoW it goes full screen and I can't get out of it without making WoW into windowed mode, allowing me to then move it aside and access what I need. Will Witch let me alt-tab out of WoW? I'm worried that if I start downloading apps that my system will bog down, but maybe I only had to worry on my Windows (Download Spybot Search & Destroy, slooooooooooooooooow). I don't like processes running in the background. :)

7. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Read these forums for differend subjects(use search feature) and get a good OSX Leopard book(search this forum too for that) :cool:

I recommend the "Leopard - Missing Manual" book.