Getting to Mail App....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobsbarricades, Aug 5, 2011.

1. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

It's up and down and I have an ignored thread over at apple discussions onmy questions. Can you help?

I have two gmail accounts and one exchange account from my almma matter that I'm bringing into Mail. Don't want offline viewin so I turned that off, don't want my 3 some gigs of e-mails sitting around either. I thnk I covered that by turning it off in the advanced tab of each gmail account.

GMAIL
    -I mark my gmail off in read and unread groups. I started Mail, setup gmail account 1 and 2 and in the time it took me to tell it not to store any messages on my computer it had downloaded a bunch of stuff already in my trash folder.
    -i deleted them to get rid of the numbers
    -i open up my gmail account in Safari and....wow now instead of 4 read messages that I'm hanging onto in my inbox for reminders, there are around 60, and half of them have the gmail label "Deleted Messages"
    does this mean that if I ever delete something from Mail it will just 'label' it deleted in my web gmail?
    -can I archive my mail through Mail like I can in the gmail web app? Or do I have to go from my inbox uptop, to my account below and dig down to all mail and drag it there?
    -I have 3 total accounts; 2 gmail and the exchange - but only a drafts section for 1 mail and 1 exchange.

EXCHANGE
    I have a dozen email's sitting in my web based exchange inbox, but none of them show up in m Mail app in OS X. Only the new ones.

SIDE STUFF
    -it seems gmail synced up my iPad notes(awesome!) but I don't know if it was gmail web or stating the Mail app) but I don't want my notes to show in my inbox; isn't that why there's a notes sidebar?

thanks for any help guys!

2. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Sorry - can only help with this one. If you go into Preferences> accounts > Mailbox behaviours, you can uncheck 'Show notes in inbox'.

I'm running Lion but think that was still possible in SL.

3. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

please sir DO NOT apologize. I feel a louse for not seeing that! Much appreciated.

1 down...3 more to go!

Ive found that when right clicking and sending to my gmail 'all mail' folder (basically archiving) there is an option to send again...but it's sort of redundant because if i'm switching between 3 accounts...which is is sending. And also...why would I not just highlight multiple emails? :shrug:

Thanks again good chap!

4. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

so only one of my contacts are 'threading'. The rest are filled with "re:re:re:re:" all from same person..

also - no ideas on archiving?

5. CDutch macrumors regular

Having the same issue....new email is arriving and email filed away in folders are accessible but none of my old email in my inbox is populating. Any suggestions?