Getting to the MBP's guts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Steve.P.JobsFan, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I'm considering getting a 15" MBP with the High Res display either in January, or waiting for the new models. I know that the battery is now built into the system. Can you still get into the machine and upgrade the RAM, and do other things like you could before?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes you can.

I upgraded my RAM, replaced my HDD for a SSD and put my HDD in the Optibay which I removed the Optical drive. I put the Optical Drive in a USB enclosure.

You could even replace the battery if needed.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes the enitre bottom is one pannel that comes off and you can access, the battery, the Ram, the hard drive and the optical drive all easily

the Ram and the hard drive are the only 2 things that can be changed by the user without voiding the warranty

4. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Can you explain this whole optibay thing? Let me see if I understand this. Since the SuperDrive also uses a SATA connection, you can disconnect and remove your SuperDrive, and put another hard drive in place of it?

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

^^^ This. Note the without voiding the warranty part. Not sure what kind of tinkering you want to do, but you definitely don't want to do anything to void your warranty shortly after you purchase your MBP.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yup, exactly think of it as a metal holster for a 2nd hard drive thats the same shape as the optical drive, and yes like you think uses the same SATA connector that the optical drive uses

7. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I love to tinker, but I'm not going to tinker with a $1800 MacBook. I can guarantee you I'm getting under the hood of it, but just for a RAM upgrade. If SSD's go down in price, I might get one.