Getting Ubuntu Server on a 2006 Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thetman, Feb 13, 2014.

1. thetman macrumors member

So I was given a 2006 Macbook and since it has no battery I wanted to try and setup ownCloud on it. It currently has 10.6.8 and Win 7 dual booting just fine. I don't really care about keeping either partition or any data. The problem I am having is getting Ubuntu media to boot. I have tried both a USB stick and external USB DVD drive. Holding "C" at boot just gives me a grey screen for either. Any ideas?

----------

Guess I should have googled, it seems you cannot use unetbootin to create bootable USB drives that work on a Mac. Following some insctructions on using dd, hopefully that works

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

You might also try holding down the option key to boot it, or use something like rEFInd. It is more flexible than Apples EFI. I think I used it once upon a time to get Ubuntu on my MacBook.

And with Macs, I've always had better luck with a disk rather than a USB drive, unless it's for OS X.

3. thetman thread starter macrumors member

Installed rEFind now copying over ubuntu using dd

4. thetman thread starter macrumors member

No luck. Neither option or rEFInd shows the USB drive on boot. Doesn't even seem to try as the activity light doesn't flicker.

5. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

From what I can recall, I had to use a combination of rEFIt or rEFInd and Boot Camp. Then I used the CD. I never had any luck with the USB installer. If you could make a disk that would be the way to go.

There's a pretty lengthy guide in their help wiki, might give it a read if you haven't done so already: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleIntelInstallation

Also looks like it's supported pretty well, at least up to 10.04 most everything works. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook

Is there any alternative that would run under OS X?