Getting university discount with CONDITIONAL offer (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spoccka, Jun 29, 2011.

1. spoccka macrumors member

Hello all, I have a conditional offer for university starting this october for which I have not yet got the grades. Results day is the 18th of August. Is there any way possible I can avail of the university discount before that date for a Macbook Pro?

I don't mind what method I use to purchase. Has anyone ever done this, what is the best way to go about it?

Thank You!

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Technically you have to be a registered student according to Apple's terms and conditions (s2.1 if you are really interested). However, I knew one person who got the discount once he had fulfilled his conditional offer (ie got the results they needed). I'd phone them and try your luck, but I'm not sure how good your chances are.

When you can get the uni discount you can by online or over the phone to get a free 3 warranty if you don't think you need full AppleCare. Not available in store. See here.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

Shocking in the United Bureaucracy of America the Apple Store student discounts are much less lenient here.

All one has to really do is click "Education Store" online and that's about it. Never heard anyone having to do any sort of confirmation or check.

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I doubt they will because they cant give you a university discount over the regular edu discount as they don't know which university your going to be going too (if any), and every university has a ever so slightly different agreement, and a slightly different mix of discounts (Just comparing between me and friends at other UK unis, we all have a slight variation on the pricing). Once you have a confirmed offer and know where your going you have a much better chance as they can work out which pricing model applies to you. (And once you get to campus you can buy through a special online store and get 3 years Hardware Warranty included, which you dont get if you buy in the Apple Retail store).

You need to get your offer confirmed before they'll give you anything IMO.

We are not discussing the standard UK Education discount. We are talking about a specific higher level of discount granted to specific UK institutions, that includes 3 years Hardware Warranty as standard and does not go through the standard Education store, but via a slightly different channel, where each channel is tied to a particular institution (So instead of store.apple.com/uk-edu its store.apple.com/uk_edu_somenumber where somenumber is tied to your institution and you can only access the store from your universities own network.)

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It sometimes feels like the UK discount system is an intelligence test to see if you are worthy of getting a free warranty! :D

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

Apple may no longer do this, but in the past, some posters reported that they contacted Apple and received a temporary URL that allowed them to access their institution's HE Store from home - IIRC, at least one had their offer confirmed, but hadn't actually started.

Alternatively, you should be able to order via 0800 072 1154.

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

There is a loop hole as such. Anyone can get onto any of the online campus stores from anywhere if you know the correct code to add in store.apple.com/uk_edu_'code here'. But as you say you can also phone and that gets the free warranty as well.

8. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

I got my macbook 13" unibody late 2008 from store. Had to blag it a bit but bought it with my conditional offers 6 months or so before uni! Finished off A level with it and had it for the summer before to get used to it :)

They will do it, just make them.
    say you want to get used it it etc...

9. RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

I found myself in the same position back in 2009, what I did was have my sister use her UCAS because she had an unconditional offer. Other than that I'm not sure what you can do. It doesn't have to be your offer though, you can use a relatives.

10. jtara macrumors 65816

Dunno how things work in England. But in the U.S. the best educational discounts are those offered directly through the official school bookstore, and the best of those are the large state-run systems, like University of California or Cal State.

Basically, you just need to walk into the bookstore with student ID. Or with a friend with student ID... (They don't care whose credit card pays for it...)

HOWEVER... at least here in the U.S. you will probably get a better deal from an Internet discounter, especially if you are in a high-tax state. For example, if you live in California, you'll do better from, say Mac Connection, etc. with no special discount than you would directly from Apple with an educational discount.

Software is a different story. Huge deals on, say Adobe software if you get them directly from the bookstore.

11. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

The UK system is very different. Apple has a contract with UK unis which means the best deal is almost always found by buying from Apple direct through their education store.