Getting unlocked iPhone from 2.1 to 3.0?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by oo5yolo10, Sep 14, 2009.

1. oo5yolo10 macrumors member

oo5yolo10

I have an unlocked original iPhone through T-Mobile. I am not too familiar with the updates/unlocking/jailbreaking etc so I have not really done anything with the phone. Is there a way to update the phone via iTunes (when I connect the iPhone to the computer and iTunes comes up with the automatic update, I just cancel out of it) and get it past 2.1 or will it lock up the phone if I update it via iTunes? I am just weary of getting it locked, or bricked ( I think that is what it's called). Thanks for the help!
    luke

2. jdzialak macrumors regular

My unlocked (pwnage tool unlocked) 2g has remained unlocked everytime I updated to the latest version using itunes...i'm on 3.0.1 right now. I'm not jailbroken. I'm on t-mo.

However, I cannot find a clear answer on whether the 3.1 will brick me, or if I'm safe to upgrade and remain unlocked because I originally used Pwnage tool to unlock, and the baseband is safe.

Joe

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Weren't 2G phones permanently unlocked with Yellowsn0w ? Or was it Bootneuter ?

4. jdzialak macrumors regular

I don't know. I bought it unlocked. The seller said he used Pwnage Tool. I have upgraded thru itunes with zero issues 2 times since December.

Joe

5. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

You can safely go ahead and upgrade to 3.0.1. If you don't have the ipsw for that, you can get it here:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Make sure you get the right file, it's the line labelled "3.0.1 (2G): iPhone1,1_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw"