Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
I uninstalled a few games with AppZapper like I have many times since the AppStore has existed. This time however I'm getting update notes for two of them. What do I need to delete to get them to disappear.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I just tested a few of these, using Skype.app as the file to be deleted.

AppZapper found 4 items
AppCleaner found 6 items
AppDelete found 9 items
EasyFind found 16 items
Finder found 17 items

While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

To manually remove an application and all associated files:
  1. Launch Finder and search for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)
  2. You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac
  3. Searching "File Name" vs "Contents" usually provides better results.
  4. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria
  5. Click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"
  6. Click the "don't include" and change to "include"
  7. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.
  8. Delete all files and folders related to the app.
  9. Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.
  10. A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.
attachment.php

from https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11590504#post11590504

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Thanks for that. It's good to know how to search so deep in Finder. I always thought the search function was a bit lacking. I found some receipts for one game and deleting them did nothing. So while I'm scrolling around the results looking for possible reasons I notice that it's showing the game app itself. Turns out that it's finding both of these games in my Lion partition somehow. So I deleted them from that side and now it's fixed. Weird.

Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.