Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Current I have a Canon 20D. It's a fairly old camera, but it's working very well, but I feel the time has come to upgrade to a new camera. One reason that's prompted to upgrade is the LCD is way too small; after seeing the new cameras, namely the 40D and 5D, I want a bigger LCD. I do print a lot of my photos, so I looks my shots and the little LCD I have doesn't cut it.

What should I upgrade to? I'm a Canon user, so I want to stay on this side of the fence. I know the 5D is full frame, but it only supports standard EF mounts, while the 40D is H-frame so will work with my existing gear. I only have 2 lens at the moment, but it cost me $500 total, so I don't want to just throw it away. I don't care for the crappy built-in flash because I use lens hoods.

Please don't suggest any P&S cameras; DSLRs are the way to go. I may like taking pictures, but I'm not keen to the latest development in cameras (I only care for computers/phones).

I'd like to a little easy on the recommendations and put my budget limit at $1800 or less for the body. I'll worry about lens later if I have to.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
5d is a fantastic camera, but there are a few reservations:

Slower then the 40d, full frame can be great but also brings incompatibility with EF-S lenses (which it appears you have); and its due to be upgraded any day now.

The upsides are the gorgeous images, basically unsurpassed studio ability except by the 1ds bodies. Awesome high ISO performance is another highlight.

Honestly though, if I was in your shoes and liked my 20d, I would get the 40d. Its a logical upgrade, it will let your lenses stay compatible and best of all, at $900 or so for the body (or $650 ;)), you've got plenty of money left over if you decide you want some new lenses or just a nice extra lump in your savings account.

My .02

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Perhaps my one source of confusion is that your need to upgrade is due to the smaller LCD on the back of the camera, and that you apparently print many pictures. I guess my question at that would be whether you actually save your images to your computer, and if so, why you feel that your LCD is insufficient. If you aren't saving your images to your computer, then I highly recommend you try it... and maybe try editing them.

In terms of what the cameras are capable of (the real reasons to upgrade), I've used a 10D and 20D extensively, I own a 5D, and I've had the chance to use a 40D recently. The cameras from the XXD series are much alike, with the obvious advances in things like FPS shooting speed, ISO performance (not so much from the 20D to the 40D), and random gimmicks such as larger LCDs and dust removal. The 5D is different for all the reasons that taylorwilsdon already mentioned. The body is slightly larger, and significantly slower than the XXDs in terms of FPS. Other positives on the 5D include a much better viewfinder, and no popup flash (and yes, I would actually consider that an advantage).

Stick with the 20D for now (until Sept when there might be a new 5D out), and instead spend your money on lenses... or flashes/ filters/tripods/or any of the myriad of other stuff you may need.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
There is a big difference between a 20D to 40D, even in relation to low noise at 3200 ISO (a feature with the 40D). The 5D is supposed to take care of high ISO noise to a greater degree, but the 40D does very well considering that it costs half of what the 5D costs.

With the Canon instant rebates at B&H, Adorama, Amazon, and other reputable dealers, a 40D's body costs around $900.00, and around $1,900 for a 5D.

The 5D is an older camera now, but destined to be a classic. For landscapes and portraits it's hard to beat a 5D, but the 40D is much faster, something that's useful for sports, birds photography, and such. I was going to buy a 5D recently (its my dream camera), but decided to buy a 40D instead because I can continue using a couple of lenses I have: Tokina 12-24mm, and Tamron 17-50mm. Since I use the body for around four years, this would give me time to save and buy a few EF lenses, at which time I will buy a 5D (the one as it is today, not the upgraded one).

Switching to a 5D would require the use of EF lenses, and all i have is a 200mm f/2.8L at the moment, which mounted on a 40D with its 1.6x crop factor "seems" to close the distance a little more than a 5D would.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Perhaps my one source of confusion is that your need to upgrade is due to the smaller LCD on the back of the camera, and that you apparently print many pictures. I guess my question at that would be whether you actually save your images to your computer, and if so, why you feel that your LCD is insufficient. If you aren't saving your images to your computer, then I highly recommend you try it... and maybe try editing them.

No I save my images onto my computer; I have around 8k pictures stored in full resolution and RAW on DVDs. I mentioned that I needed a bigger LCD to view pictures as in when I'm actually taking them; I don't think I need to carry a computer/PDA around just to see if the last image was any good.

I already have decent flash, a tripod, polarizer/UV/color filters, lens hoods.

There is a big difference between a 20D to 40D, even in relation to low noise at 3200 ISO (a feature with the 40D). The 5D is supposed to take care of high ISO noise to a greater degree, but the 40D does very well considering that it costs half of what the 5D costs.

With the Canon instant rebates at B&H, Adorama, Amazon, and other reputable dealers, a 40D's body costs around $900.00, and around $1,900 for a 5D.

I know I can set the ISO to 3200 on the 20D if I enable it in the custom settings, but I get a lot of noise. I won't be using 3200 really; I usually use no more than 800.

As with the price, I know the 40D is about half the price of the 5D, but I just think if I should upgrade, I should do it now, before I end up with a bunch of incompatible lenses

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I would upgrade to the 40D, now that instant rebates are available. But do so from a reputable dealer such as the ones I believe I mentioned, which puts the price at $936.00 (B&H Photo & Video), and maybe just a little lower at Amazon, Adorama, and Beach Camera. The instant rebate is included in the sales transaction, so it means that you no longer have to mail-in a rebate coupon to Canon.

The 40D is a very solid camera, and should last you quite a long time. I have been using my 350D (Rebel XT) four years, and have been very pleased with it. My wife mentioned that if I upgrade, she keeps the XT. She is not into picture-taking. Well, she takes a picture every now and then, therefore she is happy with the kit lens and a couple of Canon USM lenses I have. I will use a Tamrom 17-50mm f/2.8 with the 40D, plus a Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L USM, a Tokina 12-24mm f/4.0, some Kenko tubes, and a Kenko 1.4x DG Pro extender.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
Go for the 40d. If you aren't a pro, there's no reason to spring an extra 1k for pro gear. If you can't use all of your current lenses with it, say goodbye to a lot more money as well. Of course, the choice is yours, but 40d sounds better on all fronts from here.

bluesmap

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008

In terms of what the cameras are capable of (the real reasons to upgrade), I've used a 10D and 20D extensively, I own a 5D, and I've had the chance to use a 40D recently. The cameras from the XXD series are much alike, with the obvious advances in things like FPS shooting speed, ISO performance (not so much from the 20D to the 40D), and random gimmicks such as larger LCDs and dust removal. The 5D is different for all the reasons that taylorwilsdon already mentioned. The body is slightly larger, and significantly slower than the XXDs in terms of FPS. Other positives on the 5D include a much better viewfinder, and no popup flash (and yes, I would actually consider that an advantage).

Stick with the 20D for now (until Sept when there might be a new 5D out), and instead spend your money on lenses... or flashes/ filters/tripods/or any of the myriad of other stuff you may need.

best advice given.
i see no reason to upgrade from a 20d to a 40d. the benefits just aren't justifiable in spending that kinda cash for a supposed "upgrade." from a 20d to a 5d absolutely 100% a reasonable upgrade.

nobody upgrades their cameras to get a bigger lcd. the lcd is not meant to review the photos in the manner that alot of people think. you should pay more attention to the histogram if you want to shoot accurately. the photo on the lcd vs teh photo on your computer won't look the same. the histogram accurately tells you more about the exposure of the photo. dont rely on the lcd for exposure accuracy.

if i were you i would keep the body and get two more lenses. THAT would be the smartest move dude. lovesong gave very accurate advice and i agree.

what lenses do you currently have and what do you shoot? those are two important questions

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
nobody upgrades their cameras to get a bigger lcd. the lcd is not meant to review the photos in the manner that alot of people think. you should pay more attention to the histogram if you want to shoot accurately. the photo on the lcd vs teh photo on your computer won't look the same. the histogram accurately tells you more about the exposure of the photo. dont rely on the lcd for exposure accuracy.

Actually, the new LCD on the 40d is a godsend in some situations. It offers liveview and zoom to held with focusing in tough shooting environments. This is one of the only reasonably priced high-quality dslr cameras that allows you to shoot off the hip (without looking into the viewfinder) with relative ease.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.