getting US iPhone and use it in Spain (Telefonica)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cenutrio, Oct 8, 2008.

1. cenutrio macrumors newbie

Hi guys, old Mac user here finally tempted to get an iPhone.

I lost my old cellular this past weekend (blame the beer), getting a decent one ¨open¨ (so I can use with my old cellular number) is gonna cost me around 120-150 euros (for a crappy cellular anyway). Then, I realized that a friend of mine is in the States right now, and returns in a few days. I have some questions:

1. If my friend gets me an american iPhone in an Apple Store, is it possible to hack it to run using my spanish (Telefonica) SIM card

2. Is the software reliable, I mean are you guys pleased?

3. Up & downs you can find.

I certainly appreciate your input here, being part of the Mac (switched with the original iMac)/iPod (1G) community has been great, and I think it is time for me to step on the next Apple wave.

I´m looking for your feedback, if positive, I ask to buy right away.

Thanks in advance.

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

US phones are locked to AT&T and there's no software unlock as yet, so your local SIM won't work. Plus buying one involves signing up for an AT&T plan.

You'd be better to get an Italian one already unlocked.

3. cenutrio thread starter macrumors newbie

Not necessarily, I heard that you do not sign up anything when buying in apple stores.

4. cenutrio thread starter macrumors newbie

Moi un Mouton is completely right (my mistake), apparently every iPhone is activated in the States once is paid (apparently it is a electronic thing, whereas with the old 2G iPhone only AT&T did it and it was manually).

5. nalk7 macrumors regular

Hombre me alegra ver a un paisano por estos rumbos :D No tienes d q perocuparte, siempre y cuando compres la generacion anterior(iphone 2g). Luego utiliza pwnage, y funciona de puta madre. suerte